A question on HP ratings on boats

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hi all,
I was wondering about how the regulations on engine horse power apply to jet drive outboards. Can I use a 115/80 hp jet outboard on my boat that is rated for 85hp. Not that I'm thinking of doing this but it was a question I thought was worth asking. Any ideas on how that works.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: A question on HP ratings on boats

i do believe so, you have a 115 power head, that only delivers 80hp out the jet drive. props are rated at the prop.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I agree with Tas. Your engine is sold as 80 hp prop rated, even though the prop in your case is an impeller. It's not a 115 unless it has a conventional lower unit/prop.

Doesn't matter how big the powerhead is categorically. What matters is the relationship between usable power and the boats structure/handling characteristics.

Go for it.

Mark

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I was looking at some boats on the net the other day.I don't remember brand or exact size though small comes to mind.Motor size was rated in pounds only.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I was looking at some boats on the net the other day.I don't remember brand or exact size though small comes to mind.Motor size was rated in pounds only.

Never heard of that.

Mark

Chief101

Chief Petty Officer

Yup, you go by the rated output hp. Chief Chief

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Might have been boats rated for electric only --rated in pounds thrust, just as electric trolling motors are.