A Nice Little Bass boat

commander315

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys, My son has an F250 that he drives to school everyday. He's been going fishing right after school alot at this lake near his school. He wants to get a nice little boat that fits in his truck, (8ft BEd), that he can take fishing with a friend. Ive seen little jon boats around in trucks, so, anybody got any suggestions?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: A Nice Little Bass boat

Google "Sport Yak", commander. Had one for years. A really great little boat for solo fishing or with one, not very big, partner. Unsinkable, featherweight and stable. I used a Johnny 3HP (JW-13) on mine and could fish/troll all day on a quart of gas. Carried it on top of my Mercedes Diesel and later in the back of my wagon. Each of my 3 girls got introduced to fishing in her.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

He could also do a lot worse than a 14' john boat. Used ones can be had for a couple of C notes. Throw in another $400-$500 for a nice little fifteen year old Johnnyrude 9.9 or 15 (or another C note for a brand new transom mount Minn Kota) and he's all set. While in class (or otherwise leaving the truck unattended) he could throw a cable lock on the john and keep the motor in the back seat. If he went with an outboard a couple of garbage bags would prevent the lovely aroma of gas and oil from wafting through the cab.

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

One of my buddies used to have a Coleman Crawdad. We fished that thing for years. My BIL has a different version of Coleman that is similar but I forget the model. It's slightly larger and can easily accomodate two adults. It can really haul with just a 30lb trolling motor. One person can hoist it easily and it fits right in the bed with the gate up. I think he said he paid $200 for it used. They show up frequently as people move up from their beginner boat to something bigger.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Very nice JB. Is that the origin of your soft spot for those little Johnnys?

goboating

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Check out Craigslist. You won't believe whats available in the boats section. The deals I see make me wish I had more money!