A must for new boaters

DRIFTER_016

Petty Officer 1st Class
The most important thing a new boater needs is to learn the rules of the road. I was forced out of the channel on Friday night by a boater that had no clue of where to be in the channel. The best investment any new boater can make is to buy a copy of boater Chapman's Piloting and Seamanship. Learn the proper way to handle your boat and what to do around other boats. You don't want to be the cause of an accident do you?

BMOLCHANY

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: A must for new boaters

You know we have a saying in the fire service. Just because you wear turnout gear does not mean that you are a fireman. The same goes for having this book or for that matter having a boat. The person operating the vessel has to do the right thing and length of ownership does not make a good boater. Just my thoughts on the subject.

DRIFTER_016

Petty Officer 1st Class

You are correct about length of ownership, there are plenty of bad boaters out there. I am just trying to educate the newbys. If you start out right life will be better for all.

Nandy

Commander

You know we have a saying in the fire service. Just because you wear turnout gear does not mean that you are a fireman. The same goes for having this book or for that matter having a boat. The person operating the vessel has to do the right thing and length of ownership does not make a good boater. Just my thoughts on the subject.

You are right, however, how will a person become a good boater if he never have any instruction?
I will go as far as every new boater must take a coast guard/power squadron boating course. PERIOD!

JoeCrow

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm a new boater, and don't get me wrong, but the boating safety course I took was a joke.
It was a NJ Coast Guard approved course and everyone that attended passed
Even the guy in the back that only woke up for lunch
BUY THE BOOK
READ IT

oops!

Supreme Mariner

a good boater......is aware of all the rules and regs of the water.....

but ....imho..the most important thing for a boater...is to .follow the golden rule of life....treat all people as you want to be treated.

that means if you see a fisherman or a canoe....its a no wake zone !...throttle that thing back and putt by !
no zooming by the shore with 2 foot wakes coming off your boat.
and leave lots of distance between you and other boaters.....your neck should be sore from looking around for other boats by the time you get off the water.......

at no time should the ride for your passengers be rough!...its no fun sitting in a boat getting the stuffings beat out of you, while the driver is ploughing thru 4 foor wakes at full throttle !....allways think of other people first.....

then the friendly waves (hand waves) you get will also be a thank you.!

and at all costs....keep learning and trying to improve....by buying books and taking courses.........

if you do all of the above....the chances of you returning back to the dock with one less person aboard...are cut by 99.9 percent.

cheers
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

and btw drifter.....how's the "knife"? :D

(i used to be on cjcd )

DRIFTER_016

Petty Officer 1st Class

and btw drifter.....how's the "knife"? :D

(i used to be on cjcd )

Too expensive and the winters are too cold and too long!!! But having some of the best fishing around is priceless!! :D

On the bright side, I plan to retire in the Smithers area. ::cool:

a70eliminator

Captain

My mfg has the rules of right away right on the instrument panel in a nice little illustration diaghram sticker about 4x10". I think everyone should have one, in fact I would like another for my new boat if I only knew where to get one. I may end up copying it somehow and making my own, It's really nice to refer to, has horn signals and bouy signs also.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Too expensive and the winters are too cold and too long!!! But having some of the best fishing around is priceless!! :D

On the bright side, I plan to retire in the Smithers area. ::cool:

i left there and moved to victoria on a station there.....but i found it too cold...(breeze comin in off the ocean)....

now im in kelowna.....paradise !.......you should check this place out....

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The most important thing a new boater needs is to learn the rules of the road. I was forced out of the channel on Friday night by a boater that had no clue of where to be in the channel. The best investment any new boater can make is to buy a copy of boater Chapman's Piloting and Seamanship. Learn the proper way to handle your boat and what to do around other boats. You don't want to be the cause of an accident do you?

Not just "Rules of the Road", but also "Rules of the Ramp". A little common courtesy would be nice.

DRIFTER_016

Petty Officer 1st Class

i left there and moved to victoria on a station there.....but i found it too cold...(breeze comin in off the ocean)....

now im in kelowna.....paradise !.......you should check this place out....

I don't know, I hear it's as much to live there as it is here plus it's a long drive to the Bulkley River. :D