A&E Horatio Hornblower films

sailor3X7

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was wondering if there are any other Hornblower fans on the site. If you have not seen the films - you need to. They are incredible.

brother chris

Commander
Re: A&E Horatio Hornblower films

I just watched the preview on aetv.com and it looks like a great movie. <br />Thanks for the info on it.

sailor3X7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When you watch you will not only love the nautical stuff, but another thing I have really enjoyed is the leadership concepts to be learned. I am in a discussion group at work and we watched one each week and then discussed it at lunch one day a week. It was a great discussion.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Enjoyed the T.V. series. Don't know about a film (or films). Any more info?<br /><br />Aldo

sailor3X7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dunaruna, we may be talking about the same thing. They have made I believe a total of 8 now. They are more of a series of films than a traditional TV series. They follow the books by C.S. Forrester pretty closely. The last two were released last December. They are sold on the A&E website. I bought the first four in a set and I bought the next set of two. The last set I have not bought yet.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Sailor, I think your right. Starring Ioan Gruffudd. Mini movies made between 1998 & 2003. They played here on T.V. in 1 hour episodes, thats why I thought it was a series.<br /><br />Excellent storytelling, just lacked the fancy effects we are used to these days. Enjoyable none the less.<br /><br />Aldo

Hooty

Rear Admiral

My father was a master mariner and, when I was a boy before TV, all the Hornblower books (along with Ruark, Vern, etc.) were required reading. I got them as gifts and spent hours with them. In my opinion, much more exciting then TV. <br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

sailor3X7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hooty, the books are awesome too. The series inspired me to read the books and I thoroughly enjoyed them. <br />Yes, they are not made with some of the extraordinary effects, but I enjoy the content so much I don't mind. There are moments where I'm pretty sure you can even tell they edit in a short piece of photography that is shot on video tape rather than film.<br />Some of the lines are so moving.<br />ex:<br />"I was just thinking of the distances we have traveled - and yet how far we've still to sail, as men." -Horatio<br /><br />"I never expected command to be easy - I expected to be fit for it." - Acting Captain Buckland<br /><br />That's good stuff.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

The A&E Hornblower shows were excellent. The old movie version starred Gregory Peck as Hornblower. My kids gave me the A&E CD and I bought all the book series from Amazon.com. Saving the books for my grandsons to read when they get older.

Rattle-

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I thought it was just me who watched these movies! Don't know what it is about it, but I love this series. The girlfriend doesn't get them...<br /> Still wondering what the Admiral has in store for Horry. I'm thinking that he may be family, or something like that. The girl he married is ok, but the mother-in-law looks like she's going to be trouble.<br /> Startin' to sound like a chick, so I'll get out of here.<br /> PS: The 2 new ones are on AE in December. Thats way too much info, from a Boater (as such)<br /><br />Thanks Again,<br /><br />Kerry

sailor3X7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Snake, I know what you mean. Every summer I volunteer to train camp counselors at a summer camp in New Mexico. I used the series as entertainment and to make some points about character and leadership. The guys loved it. They couldn't wait until the next day when I would show them the next one. But the chicks didn't really get it. I watch the entire series at least twice a year. I watched them all again this summer, but just talking about it is making me ready to sit down and watch them again.

sailor3X7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

SW: I bought them on VHS a couple of years ago. Now I really want them on DVD.<br /><br />Hunter: I had him in my sights, why didn't you let me shoot him? We came to fight didn't we? <br />Hornblower : No, we came to defeat them.

sailor3X7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

SW: Do the DVD's have some good extras on them?

TPD211

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used to read the Horatio Hornblower books as a kid.... some 35 or more years ago. I'll have to check out the movies.