9ELRT 9.9 HP Yamaha Outboard motor

Spiderhole

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello, this thing has been hanging off the back of my Grady for years. It suppose it was supposed to be used as a trolling motor or emergency motor. It really was just dead weight. We never used it and it's been on there for about 15 years. It looks like it is only supposed to work with a steering setup and it can't be fit with an arm control. Does anyone use these things for anything else? Maybe on a small skiff or aluminum boat or something? I was thinking about selling it, but I don't know much about these.

Attachments

• photo266627.jpg
    photo266627.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo266628.jpg
    photo266628.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo266629.jpg
    photo266629.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 0

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The good. The T9.9 is worth more than the normal 9.9 in many regions, and even used they hold their value well.

​The not so good. Sitting for 15 years without use isn't something these motors like, they tend to need some attention before they run well after sitting. And in some locations people would rather have the tiller version.

​This model is designed to push a heavy load, they don't do as well on a lighter skiff because sometimes you can't get the right prop for higher speeds.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
gear ratio of the lower unit is different than a regular unit so props are different

get it running well and you can do something with it or sell it for junk

wait a minute, he did not say it was a T9.9 it is a F9.9 acording to the pics.

But it needs to run well no matter what it is

Last edited:

Spiderhole

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It is a T9.9ELRT - I posted the one pic with the plate so you all might be able to identify some items.

What would be a good application for this motor if it was to be used on something? My Grady is up at my place in Upstate NY, but I actually live in Dallas, TX.

I have all the controls and everything with it still as well. How much does one of these things go for assuming I go through it (carb, impeller, etc.)

Thanks [h=2][/h]

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I see that now, sorry.

a small motor pushing big heavy boat at slow speeds

if it was a extra long shaft it would be good on a sail boat

when was the last time it ran?

motors that sit without running for years are not easy to make run properly unless they were stored properly

Spiderhole

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It hasn't been fired up in a long time. I am confident I can go through it and get it running like a top. I am just debating holding onto it, or selling it. I was thinking it might be good on a small Boston Whaler or something like that? Maybe a flat bottom boat? I just never used it on my Grady, it was completely dead weight.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Around here you get from maybe $1,100 to $1,800 depending on the year, but the value is different in every region.