99 Super Hawk. Repair, Transform, Rig

budski

Lieutenant Commander
Hey 83 your project is coming along really nice, I wish I could tell you how to widen the gunnels, but just offhand I can;t but they look great to me as they are, as far as the hatch covers the easiest way is to buy them pre-made as grandad suggested, otherwise would probably try and copy the original ones in your boat, either way good luck, great work so far.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
That's what I meant. Take a look at that seat and then YOU make something similar on your own. I'd NEVER buy one when you can make it yourself!!! Remember...I'm a C.O.B.!!!! :faint2:

83mulligan

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hey 83 your project is coming along really nice, I wish I could tell you how to widen the gunnels, but just offhand I can;t but they look great to me as they are, as far as the hatch covers the easiest way is to buy them pre-made as grandad suggested, otherwise would probably try and copy the original ones in your boat, either way good luck, great work so far.

Budski, thank you. I want to make them wider and with lockable storage so I can fit the 6 or 8 rods and reels I use for walleye fishing in there along with some other things. I have the boat home now so I'm kicking around some ideas I have before I start cutting anything.

83mulligan

That's what I meant. Take a look at that seat and then YOU make something similar on your own. I'd NEVER buy one when you can make it yourself!!! Remember...I'm a C.O.B.!!!! :faint2:

Ha, that's what I thought coming from such an accomplished DIY guy as yourself, wood. I have a great plan for it out of teak and vinyl. just need to put that plan in action!

83mulligan

Got the boat home and stripped out all the temporary stuff that allowed me to fish the end of last season with the boat. Now she's a blank slate again. Time to go to work. First order of business will be putting in a permanent sub deck up front and then building some consoles.

83mulligan

replacing a water softener, fixing my shed door and tiling the laundry room have gotten in the way of my boat works, but I have made progress and will post up some pics soon.

83mulligan

Finally got a couple solid days of work in on the boat. Even got pictures to prove it.

First task was some foam work. I'm using half inch ply on my front sub deck which is a little weak for some of the spans, especially with a couple batteries sitting up under the consoles. Also, there is a space I wanted to use for a compartment located center and forward of the consoles. I cut our the existing foam where it interfered and then poured this section up flush with the sub decks. I blocked off a couple of channels for wireways and drainage. I also blocked some channels for water flow in the second compartment and mixed up some pb and lined the channels and made sure they drained to bilge. Since I had some oil based paint I painted up the compartment area and any foam that looked rough or that I had cut or trimmed to help seal the surface again. Here are some pics.

83mulligan

Over the past weeks I had cut the floor piece and hatch cover, plus the two pieces for each console. I got three coats of epoxy on each piece and this weekend was able to get them covered with the same Nautelex Vinyl I used on the rear decks.

83mulligan

Hopefully I can stay on a roll here and start making some real progress toward getting this thing splashed again.

83mulligan

Thanks Mark! Felt good to put some time into it. Hopefully, I'll be past the dirty work soon and onto building things into the boat.

Mark72233

Ensign
You never past the dirty work. There is always something that needed done that was forgotten and out comes the grinder and fiberglass dust all over again :fear:

83mulligan

Picked up a can of Jasco Premium Paint and Epoxy Remover. I am need to strip some carpet and clean up some metal where I had previously pulled the carpet. As evidence by the picture, this is some pretty good stuff. One coat got rid of most of the carpet glue and backing remnants Some warnings, though, its really nasty stuff from a vapor and skin contact standpoint. I got a drop on my arm and it burned right away. I also wore a respirator and fired up my Dayton blower to move as much air as possible out the window. The removal process is really messy. The goop sticks to everything so you have to be really prepared to scrape, wipe the scraper (i used a cardboard box to wipe the gunk into). I poured a few drops on a scrap piece of nautilex vinyl and also on some six mil plastic and was suprised that it did not seem to damage the nautilex at all and did not penetrate the plastic, although it deformed it. Anyway, that's my review of Jasco Premium Paint and Epoxy Remover.

83mulligan

Got the front sub deck installed and riveted down. Working on back cutting my vinyl on the console pieces and those should be ready to be put in soon. Pics coming when those are done.

83mulligan

Marine carpet came this week. My console panels are covered with vinyl. I'll dry fit them and take some pictures. Going to replace the carpet up the sides of teh hull and carpet the front casting deck for a little more comfort for the family. The vinyl on the deck is awesome but its a little rough on knees and such.

will w.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was just reading your thread this morning from your link in my thread. I,m only a few pages into it, but seen that it was TTT. I,m Interested in seeing how you wrap your consoles. When I do get back the SFM, my plan has been carpet on the front deck for the same reasons. I,m trying to finish up a transom on that Holiday I picked up 2 weeks ago, nothing worse than waiting and watching paint (epoxy) dry.:eek: I didn't get a chance to document everything as most of the work was done during the week. Good luck getting her finished up, I look forward to seeing your progress. Have a good 4th.

83mulligan

I was just reading your thread this morning from your link in my thread. I,m only a few pages into it, but seen that it was TTT. I,m Interested in seeing how you wrap your consoles. When I do get back the SFM, my plan has been carpet on the front deck for the same reasons. I,m trying to finish up a transom on that Holiday I picked up 2 weeks ago, nothing worse than waiting and watching paint (epoxy) dry.:eek: I didn't get a chance to document everything as most of the work was done during the week. Good luck getting her finished up, I look forward to seeing your progress. Have a good 4th.

will w., I got pushed off my boat project for a while. My grandmother passed away and I spent 5 days in Cleveland, so I haven't come through on dry fitting the panels and taking a picture yet. I'm going to be out of town until Sunday, but when I do get back I'll post a couple pictures of the panel backsides and you can see how they were wrapped. I decided after the fact to also vinyl face the back sides in this area because they will be seen so the process is not how I would have done it had I decided to vinyl both sides from the beginning. The great thing about the vinyl and weldwood contact cement is if you don't like something you simply pull it up, wet it out again and fix it how you like. It's pretty easy to work with. The bond is excellent, but it can be altered after the fact. Jigngrub has a thread that shows some really awesome work with the stuff. I'd look that up for a tutorial, that's how I got started with the vinyl.

I did get all the carpet ripped out and got the glue and backing off the hull for the most part. I have one area to finish up then I can get the new carpet installed. I have the new pieces cut for the sides of the hull and am thinking about how to install them all the way down in one shot with the consoles there............