99 Suburban vs 27' Two Axle

Chef Shawn

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Supposed to pick up the boat tomorrow, 27' Cabin Cruiser, on two axles. Like a dummy I just now start worrying about the truck being OK. My hitch is rated for 500# tongue weight and 5000# gross. And I noticed the brake line on the trailer hitch is busted/leaking?

Truck is a 1500.

Need to bring it home to repair brake line, so I should start braking about 2 miles before... I know

Anyone know tongue weight on something close to the same size? That is my main worry.

Thanks

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 99 Suburban vs 27' Two Axle

Bumper pull trailers are designed to put @ 7-10 percent of gross payload on the hitch. A 27' cruiser will weigh about 7,000 lbs. and the trailer itself another 1,500. So you are looking at conservatively 700-800 lbs. on the ball.

I hope you aren't going far without brakes and a half-ton truck. That is asking for an accident.
The one advantage you do have working for you is the long wheelbase of that Suburban, and the extra rigidity of the enclosed body/passenger area. Make sure that trailer has good wheel bearings and tires!

If I wasn't 3 hours from you, I would come transport it for you with my diesel dually.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

my 28'er has nearly 1000 lbs of tongue weight you are likely pushing it with that boat and that tow rig especially with no trailer brakes BUT if going a short distance and if you can stay on secondary and back roads at 45 mph or less you can be RELATIVELY safe.

If you have to go further consider renting a bigger truck

Chef Shawn

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Seville & Smoke. I got her home, That's the longest tow I will do with this boat and my truck....I smoked 9 packs of cigarettes, never topped 40 mph and was just waiting for the ***-end of the truck off to break off. And that was only 24 miles. Did I mention this damn snow storm fell on me at the same time....too good of a deal to pass up though....