99 Ficht Rebuild Problem

urugol

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all, wondering if anyone may have come across the problem I'm having. I have rebuilt a 99 115hp Ficht all cylinders rebored and brand new pistons all round. I used new bearings bottom end and little end as well. I followed the build procedure by the service book, crank oil rings are gapped facing upwards as well. So the problem is this - I can turn the motor by hand it sounds real nice heaps of compression in there. But when I try to turn it with a battery kicking the starter motor I hear a grinding noise but it does spin fine (no plugs in). As soon as I connect my compression tester to one of the plug holes and try to kick it over it only turns for half a turn then the bendix slips. It's as though once there is more compression it can't turn over that freely.

I have so far replaced the bendix and starter motor thinking it may have been one of those 2 but same problem persists. I have also removed the stator to further try and eliminate but same problem. The only thing I haven't done is replace the flywheel. I can't think there is an internal problem, as I mentioned it does turn real nice by hand so wondering if anyone may have a clue before I contemplate tearing down again:facepalm:!

Edit: Forgot to mention that I am actually activating the starter by tapping +ve from a battery straight to the starter motor. -ve is grounded to the block as the powerhead is actually on a bench. Maybe I should try using the control box and activating the solenoid? I can't see that helping though, particularly with the grinding noise....

Al

Australia.

Last edited:

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 99 Ficht Rebuild Problem

For the internals, were the pistons referenced right for port and starboard in the correct orientation?

When installing the mains, are you absolutely certain the pins went into the holes?

The flywheel sounds like a long shot. Take it off and inspect the inner magnets and the drive gear is tight and in proper location as a precaution.

Did you torque and mark the rod caps...for sure?

urugol

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the response. Pistons are on correct I double checked them and tested ring gap clearances as well. Pins on the mains definitely lined up when I laid the crank I ensured the pins were seated and there was no movement. Cases lined up perfectly. I agree the flywheel is a long shot. I'm not so concerned about the grinding noise as much as the bendix disengaging under pressure when the plug holes have plugs or in my case a comp tester connected. It's really weird. Rod caps are torqued to spec, there is a possibility that I may have one in a different cylinder to original or that I may have the wrong rodcap halves as I had them laid out on a bench and now I'm second guessing myself. I did do the nail test on the rod caps though before torque and they lined up nicely.

daselbee

Commander

Bendix disengaging when only one cylinder has compression (5 others open) is normal. You might place a couple of plugs in the opposite bank to even out the forces a bit. I have no opinion on the grinding noise. Cannot understand why you would hear a grinding at starter rpms.

urugol

Seaman Apprentice

Bendix disengaging when only one cylinder has compression (5 others open) is normal. You might place a couple of plugs in the opposite bank to even out the forces a bit. I have no opinion on the grinding noise. Cannot understand why you would hear a grinding at starter rpms.

You sir are a genius :clap2:. I never thought of that, but I thought I would entertain your idea. I put all 4 plugs in and she kicks over and over and over. Thank you so much, I was starting to do my head in with this one!! Btw, it's a v4 but obviously the same rule applied.

urugol

Seaman Apprentice

I need to also add that the grinding noise also disappeared with all the plugs in. Must be some sort of balance it throws itself out the comps are in the 160 mark which would explain it.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Dasel, you beat me to the answer. Been there.

daselbee

Commander

Yep, no doubt...But, I musta read right over the fact he has a V4 and I was assuming he had a V6. Those V6 starters are bad for kicking out like he described. I don't think I have seen a V4 starter do that, but I guess it does.