"99 90hp E90FPLEEC motor has no power past solenoid. No trim but relays buzz no start

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer
"99 90hp E90FPLEEC motor has no power past solenoid. No trim but relays buzz no start

A friend brought me his 90 Rude that has been sitting for a year. Attempting to get trim working I'm finding nothing works. On trim the relays buzz a little pressing up and down like not enough voltage but battery is tested good at 12.7 V and strong amps. I have 12V at solenoid but don't know where to look after that.
Can anybody give me a suggestion as to where to look for a problem on this motor?
I'm pretty good on the older models in this size range but not very familiar with this injected 90hp.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Have you tried cleaning terminals with a wire brush and tightening with a wrench. When you mention strong amps I am assumeing you load tested the Battery.

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer
Yes, All connectors are clean and I even went so far as to put a known good 12v power supply at the main solenoid and ground.
Just replaced solenoid and still same problem. No start and trim just clicks or buzzes. I also tried exchanging trim relays around but still same problem.

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer
on the trim I'm only getting 8.5V on the connector going to the trim tilt motor. I tried putting 12V on that connector to motor but nothing happens

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I would guess that you have a bad wire. Either heavily corroded or almost completely broken. Starting at battery I would isolate the wires and ohm check while bending and twisting. You will probably find one somewhere that has high resistance.

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer
I'm thinking computer or whatever it's called on these models. Ecm maybe. Everything checks out but that. Don,t know how to check

daselbee

Commander
Ummmm...no. Not the EMM. Look for a bad battery cable. High internal resistance on either the positive or the negative cable. Corrosion on the bolts that attach to block (negative).

daselbee

Commander
I just went and looked up the model. You do have a PDP (power distribution panel) and there have been known broken solder joints on the V6 PDPs.
Possibly there is a problem there.

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for all the feedback!

Let me get on my soapbox for a second though.
So many times I have answered questions by readers who bless their heart, are trying to help, only to have my answer to their question be ignored.
Case in point here in this post. I said the wires and terminals were all good and clean! I realize you don't know my level of expertise but you have to assume I know what I'm talking about and proceed with troubleshooting based on my answer.

The problem ended up being a bad trim motor. Also solenoid was automotive type and not grounded to base so it had to be grounded by wire. That was my bad. They looked identical

Last edited: