98 Johnson leaking hydraulic fluid.

GSX455

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had to remove the motor and raise it up to install a new steering cable. When I raised the motor, the tilt was higher than normal. I started to leak hydraulic fluid from the bottom, on a Johnson 90 HP motor, how do I add any hydraulic fluid? it stopped leaking once I lowered the motor.
Thank you

Attachments

• Johnson serial #.JPG
    Johnson serial #.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Leak.JPG
    Leak.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 25

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
I had to remove the motor and raise it up to install a new steering cable. When I raised the motor, the tilt was higher than normal. I started to leak hydraulic fluid from the bottom, on a Johnson 90 HP motor, how do I add any hydraulic fluid? it stopped leaking once I lowered the motor.
Thank you
Should be a little cap located back there. Should be some videos online for correct level.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I did not think that PTT unit had any place to leak in that area. It should only leak from where the rods emerge from the casting.

If is is leaking from the bottom, maybe you have a crack in the casting. If you sand off the paint, you should see the crack.

GSX455

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There is no crack on the housing but I can’t seems to remove the pin to lock the motor
2nd picture is the piocation
How do you remove the washer and relocate the pin to the lock the motor while lifting?

Attachments

• 9450C1F1-33C6-4B30-AB33-8E8479257A11.jpeg
    9450C1F1-33C6-4B30-AB33-8E8479257A11.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 19
  • AC9B2E35-283C-4145-BF95-0DAEDA209CCF.jpeg
    AC9B2E35-283C-4145-BF95-0DAEDA209CCF.jpeg
    938.3 KB · Views: 19

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
There is no crack on the housing but I can’t seems to remove the pin to lock the motor
2nd picture is the piocation
How do you remove the washer and relocate the pin to the lock the motor while lifting?
That should be a c clip not a washer.....

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
I stand corrected...I think it's like a split washer.....been a long time since I've seen one.

GSX455

Petty Officer 2nd Class
F1A6895D-58CD-44EC-95D5-13B5BC0EAF39.jpeg
You are correct, sir. I’ll go back to C clips. At least the the reservoir is not leaking, and the bottom is not cracked. Maybe I’ll get away with just a refill

GSX455

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Still looking for the hydraulic leak, I do not see a leak from the main piston. And this piston goes up much higher. None of the seals look to be leaking, and there are no cracks, just oozing on the side
Another problem, I can't seem to get grease to go in the fitting on the starboard side. Grease just oozes from the top of the fitting. Is there anyway to remove the collar and regrease it that way? The hinge seems stiff to rotate, so I'm trying to grease it.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Still looking for the hydraulic leak, I do not see a leak from the main piston. And this piston goes up much higher. None of the seals look to be leaking, and there are no cracks, just oozing on the side
Another problem, I can't seem to get grease to go in the fitting on the starboard side. Grease just oozes from the top of the fitting. Is there anyway to remove the collar and regrease it that way? The hinge seems stiff to rotate, so I'm trying to grease it.
Are you talking about the tilt tube on the starboard side that goes into the tilt bracket?

When you can't get grease in any of the fittings.... it's a real chore. Usually need to pull stuff apart and clean.

They sell a little tool that you put oil in and then hit it with a hammer and it's supposed to clear it out. I have two of them and have NEVER been successful. Also, you can't heat them because there is plastic bushings in there.

ONERCBOATER!

Seaman
Are you talking about the tilt tube on the starboard side that goes into the tilt bracket?

When you can't get grease in any of the fittings.... it's a real chore. Usually need to pull stuff apart and clean.

They sell a little tool that you put oil in and then hit it with a hammer and it's supposed to clear it out. I have two of them and have NEVER been successful. Also, you can't heat them because there is plastic bushings in there.
The little tool you hit with a hammer...well sometimes you really have to hit it hard to work. My issue with it is that the crud that blocked it is now forced into the thing your trying to lubricate :(

I personally when possible replace zircs and such vs the little tool...
But I have to be honest I have and do use it from time to time...

Sean

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Check the gasket or oring behind the mounting flange of the fluid reservoir.

GSX455

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Another thing I looked for and missed is the locking pin for the outboard hinge. When I lift the motor, the motor swings up, and might have caused the leak. the only pin I found was the pin (shown above) to keep the trim elevated. Thanks again.

GSX455

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I can't seem to get the release screw to raise to motor to check the seals. It will not budge, I'm not sure using a torch to loosen this is a good idea, any suggestions?

Attachments

• release screw.JPG
    release screw.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 3

ONERCBOATER!

Seaman
for the hydraulic release screw.
Get a good fitting 1/4" drive driver bit that fits 100% tightly in the slot...shape it with a grinder or with a file if you must. It must be an incredibly tight even fit to allow high torque to not strip it...and a 1/4" 6 point box end wrench.

Put bit in wrench, put bit in screw, put large amount of pressure on it to hold it into screw while alternating between loosening and tightening until it pops loose.

The bit MUST FIT PERFECTLY there must be PRESSURE to hold the bit in the screw. Without that the screw may strip. This same method works for screws on firearms if you don't want to ruin their finish.

Heat to me here is LAST resort.

If someone else pops in with an idea entertain it before mine.

Sean.

Edit... if you have enough room judiciously tapping the driver with a hammer can shock it free... they actually make drivers specifically for this.

Just depends on what you have for access

Last edited:

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
I find that a 1/4 inch impact screw driver works wonders on stuck bolts and screws

start slow....

GSX455

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I find that a 1/4 inch impact screw driver works wonders on stuck bolts and screws

start slow....
I tried the slotted impact driver and it is not deep enough, and has partially stripped the slot. The long screwdriver, I can't get enough pressure.
I understand now why Johnson outboards went out of business.