97 Mercruiser Head Gasket, Casting, Lower Unit Question

rbezdon

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 97 Mercruiser Head Gasket, Casting, Lower Unit Question

I agree rod, no way to burn that much iron off the head AND the block in one run of an hour or less, heck 4 hours wouldnt do it. It may have had the problem and the kinked hose "pushed it off the edge".

LilBluePill

Cadet

Hi all--had to take some time off thinking about all this, plus shop 1 took VACATION?!?! I hope his plans were mucked as bad as ours with this whole thing. <br /><br />Got a call today from shop 1 and he wants to talk. He has an engine that must be rebuilt to be placed in our boat and they are willing to charge us at cost for some items--but of course, they have not stated what or how much, as has been the case this whole time. The master merc mechanic at shop 1 also stated that he will be working ont he boat and no one else. He stated that he never wants this to happen again. Going in tomorrow to find that out--really sick of driving over there for nothing so this time better be productive. Will let you all know what they say.<br /><br />Again, thanks for the advice.

LilBluePill

Cadet

Shop 1 came back with a new suggestion today--Please take a look and comment!<br /><br />They are now saying that the engine never overheated and the reasoning is that the wires and such were not melted. They are now saying that one of the intake valves tuliped. What does this mean and where to do I go research the problem?? Manual??<br /><br />Thanks again, as always!

rbezdon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A tulipped valve is a valve which has defomed such that the egdes are formed up in the direction/shape of a tulip. This comes from the metal valve being heated hot enough for the metal to flow or form. The pressure f the valve being pulled in defoems the head of the valve. I hope this makes sense. It is strange as the reason a valve can deform at all is it got too hot. By the way, a tulipped valve can not make that burn mark in your head and block. That was a burnt head gasket. I am not sure where to go for the research but I would just try old fashioned Googling and surfing for tulipped valves, swallowed valves etc. You may come up with other forums that have more info on that topic.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

late style SBC's with "tuliped" intake valves are rather common. usually caused by over propping or an overheat. either one will create excessive heat in the combustion chamber.we find it a lot with boats that are marginally propped then add a tube with 5 people.<br /> and I am still interested in the part numbers for the trim "IN" spacers on an alpha. <br /> but I am with vatter, the head gasket popped due to an over temp condition in the cylinder. what the cause was is not clear yet but if not found odds are good it will do it again. now I gotta go try to find the head pics ya posted and see if I can see the bad valve.