97 johnson 60 lower unit removal

pointblank1000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I removed the shift rod "clip" (next to carb), then removed the trim tab bolt, then the inode bolt and another one right next to the inode then the four main bolts.
I then pushed the shift rod towards the powerhead and disengaged the shift rod (at the top). Seems like this would allow the lower unit to fall but it will only move about .010.
The oem manual says to remove a screw at the top where the shift linkage attaches but that does not make since, I already pushed the shift rod towards the block and disengaged it. It seems loose enough at the top. I would have to remove the carbs to remove the screw the book talks about.
Does this make since or am I missing something here?
97 johnson 60 hp 3 carb 2 stroke.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 97 johnson 60 lower unit removal

IF you have all the bolts removed it's possible the d/s splines are stuck in the c/s splines.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: 97 johnson 60 lower unit removal

They do get stuck on there just wiggle it around and it should start to come off, you can GENTLY pry it with a bar or big screw driver but don't force it or scar the casting, sometimes helps to rotate the prop bac and forth, might break lose the drive shaft.

If it won't come after this be certian you got all the bolts and the shift rod is clear.