97 225 efi vibrates

engine 9

Cadet
225 efi excessively vibrates at 1000-2000 rpm (whole boat rattles, proline251) Idle is fine and if I push through it, its fine. Driving me crazy. Also smoky at start but I think that is nature of the beast. Any help would be great. New to forum, its great to talk to other merc owners. Thanks again for any help.
Bob W

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 97 225 efi vibrates

check your prop, and prop shaft. if slightly bent, could be that if shows just at that rpm range, also check the compression, spark, it could be dragging a piston or 2 thru that range.

engine 9

Cadet

Thanks for the replies. I will look int all these, although I just had the water pump replaced. Will look into the propeller. I recently switched to composite from stainless. Trying different pitches. Could be something there. Trying to get someone to the boat to say " this is the problem and this is how we fix it".
Nothing is ever easy when it comes to boats let alone get someone to the boat. Oh well it coud be worse, I could have no boat at all.
Thanks again
Bob W

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

did you have the problem with the stainless prop. if not switch them and see if it eliminates it.

engine 9

Cadet

I will give it a try. If it works I will root for the Gators even if I am up here in BC Eagles country.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Before you swap props, check your prop for alignment. Lower the engine on the trailer and take a ruler and measure the hub and blades (distance to the floor) as you rotate the prop. May see an out of round. The blades could be molded incorrectly, the hub could be damaged, or you could have installed it incorrectly.

Mark

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Isn't 225 the upper limit on HP with composites? I had my nose in a Cabella's catalog today and was looking props over. Think I saw that upper limit on composites. You may be maxing it out.

What is your rpm once on plane? About where you are having the vibration? Maybe your vibration occurs when coming out of the hole and you are bending the blades with the load on the prop at that point.

Mark

engine 9

Cadet

My bad, not composite, it is aluminum. Everyone seems to be leaning toward prop problem. I didnt have a problem with my stainless so I guess putting that back on is my first step. Although the vibration isnt as bad when it warms up but it is still there at 1000-2000rpm.
Thanks

engine 9

Cadet
Re: 97 225 efi vibrates-- update

Re: 97 225 efi vibrates-- update

I thought I would let you know what turned out to be the problem. Apparently mercury put out a bulletin about these motors before I bought it. It told owners that the oil injection was set too high and needed to be adjusted. It said it effected perfomance at 1500-3200rpm. Smokey, runs rough, vibration/shudder. My guy did the adjustment today. Will find out Sunday how it feels. Although I can only imagine the carbon build up on pistons. (Any advice on that?)
Thanks to Tashasdaddy and Texasmark for your input.
Hopefully this helps somebody with same problem.