97 175HP evinrude 60degree - no spark

budsbud662

Seaman
My 1997 175hp evinrude intruder 60 degree / carb'ed, has been running real real good as of lately, ive been running into a problem.. Anyways, i started out this spring it did it once, i was just starting out in the mourning to go fishing and i got on throttle right after launching it and at mid range RPM it just died. i put a extra plug on a wire and held it to block, no spark.

so i took off all the shrouds and checked the connections. cranked it, and it started fine.. had spark agan.. So went home and cleaned up all the plugs and lubed them with di-electric grease. cleaned up all the power/ground's. i went about 2 months without it happening ever agan. The next time it was the same story, started out in the AM, mid throttle RPM, motor died, no spark, so I took off a shroud and unplugged/plugged some wires around the rectifier and boom it started right up.
.. so i went home and cleaned up all the wires yet agan and power/ground., (thinking it did something last time). went out fishing agan the next day. idled out to the canal.. got on the throttle, about mid range to full RPM and it died agan. No spark.

wiggled some wires for about 15 minutes. and it started up.

What i have noticed, it ONLY does this the first 10 minutes out.. ussually idle from launch to ship canal plane out the boat, and it cuts out..

after it does it once, it wont do it all day agan.

Anyone have any idea's??????

I have extra powerpacks and rectifier from a 150 60 degree (i have a whole extra motor actually).
but i havnt swapped them yet.

What do you guys think i should do?

I think it has to be a problem in the ignition.

Its now too frequent to drive the boat without a correct fix. I hope to swap some parts tommrow, just wondering what ones you guys think it could be. or what parts to try and swap first.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 97 175HP evinrude 60degree - no spark

disconnect black yellow wire, that is the kill wire. see if it still does it. you can always choke the motor to kill it.

budsbud662

Seaman

does anyone know if this is a symptom of the optical eye going bad?

jonesg

Admiral

try the suggestion and report back for the next logical step to try.;)

If we replaced the things it "could be" then we're looking at stator, power pack, optical sensor, all the coils, the plug wires, the wiring loom,etc

we're up to $1200 so far...:eek:

then again it could very well just be the black yellow wire.