96 Yamaha Waveraider 700 - 2 Questions??

JWB3881

Recruit
I purchased a 1996 Yamaha Waveraider 700... and I took it out today. Ran great, a lil smokey but I've heard they're notorius for that.

First question... I had my friend on it with me today, and we switched so she could drive. (She weighs 110, I weigh 250). But when she tried driving once you got past quarter throttle it acted like it was cavitating, but as soon as we switched back to me driving it was fine?? Is it coincidence that maybe seaweed was in the prop, or could it be the prop and I need to replace it? I didn't notice any kind of damage on the prop?

Second question... The oil light on it began to flash and I observed the oil tank is a little below half. Is it a dummy light when it's below half to flash and then becomes steady light below quarter? Or is it something else like the motor isn't getting oil...which like I said, the oil level went down after running for about 2hrs on the water.

It has only been run in freshwater, I'm the second owner.

Last edited:

The Penguin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 96 Yamaha Waveraider 700 - 2 Questions??

first answer:

the problem is the weight on the back. either don't ride 2-up, or get an aftermarket intake grate to help scoop more water to the pump.

second answer:

not sure about the oil light - but do yourself a favor - get rid of the oil injection system and switch to premix, then you won't have to worry about it.

JWB3881

Recruit

LOL Ok... I will keep the weight to the front. :)

Is eliminating the oil injection system I can do, or does it need to be done by a mechanic?? I have some small engine/engine repair skills. But the whole waverunner scene is something new to me.

The Penguin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I should add that an extended ride plate would also help keep the nose down - and more water in the pump - so if you're going to be doing alot of 2-up riding, you might consider that. (If an extended plate is made for that ski, that is)

for removing the oil pump - it's very simple - find a local "Hot Products" dealer - order a oil pump block off kit for Yamaha 701 engine, part no. 50-9500

remove oil pump (remove 2 screws) install block off (replace screws) - remove oil lines and place a rubber cap on the nipple on the carb. the kit will have all the parts you need.

mix the fuel you have in your tank at 40:1 or 50:1 - and you're done.

takes 10 minutes or less.

robcarync

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a 94 waverunner III and converting to premix was the best thing I ever did for it. Exhaust was way too smokey and running terrible-premix solved a lot of issues-not all of my issues (my waverunner is still a work in progress) but it is a lot less to worry about because the oil pump was injecting ridiculous amount of oil on top of the carb.