96 seadoo XP

heybaylor

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok ,fixing this thing fo a neighbor ..<br />so far , replace the trim relay/sender box ..($185 ) wow ..but that fixed it ..( two relay's ,and a sender in a epox box ) <br />cut open the trim motor ..cleaned water.corrosion out ,and it now runs ..( welded /silicone back together ( new one $175.00)<br />oil pump drive shaft twisted in two ..ordered one , and it is a "new "improved deal .."<br />requires pulling the engine to get the flywheel cover off to install..<br />hmm made a new one on the lathe/mill ..that looks like the old one ..simple install..<br /><br />man these parts are expensive .<br /><br />now the question !!!<br />dealer say .only Barbardier synthetic .oil <br />bought one gallon .$39.60 ..<br />what else can we run in this 10 year old two-stroke????

fseries

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 96 seadoo XP

with all my experience with the older sea doos i would stick with their oil, also you can get that at some wal marts for 19.99 a gallon believe it or not

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

LOOSE the oil pump and go to pre mix, I lost 2 engines on sea doo to bad pumps, both were 787 engines.

fordworker

Seaman Apprentice

Also, synthetic two cycle is all the same. It all meets the same petroleum institute standards.

heybaylor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK , decision made ..oil pump is history ..<br />now I see that the 'rotary valve is lubed direct from the oil resovoir ..do I kill the pump driveshaft ..leave the pump in place as a plug , seal oil line, and seal checkvalves on the intake ..<br />then leave the rotary valve line attached to the oil tank ..keeping a little oil in there ..<br />then premix the gas.???<br />what am I missing ??<br />then I can run any tcw3 synthectic I want too ???

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

Remove the driveshaft and replace the pump leave the cable conected to the pump so the throttle tension stays the same, leave some oil in the tank for the rotary valve and cabletie the sending unit in the up position so your oil light stays off. make a closed loop from one oil nipple to the other to avoid a vacume leak in the rotary valve compartment. just close off the oil line to the oil pump. remone the inline filter to the pump and replace it with a solid rod or other item that will plug off the oil going to the pump, remove the fuel filler cap and on the flange where the filler is mounted to the hull get some 1/2 in vinyl letters from office depo and letter the filler flange PRE-MIX-OIL. when the gas cap is in place it will hide the letters but when it is removed for fueling it will be there for someone to see and prevent some fool from adding straight gas to the tank. that was my fear when I went to pre mix so I lable my filler it's easy to do . as for adding oil to the gas I mix 4 oz per gallon of no ash oil, you use what you like.but tcw3 no ash is all you need.

heybaylor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jeff, thanks .. I would have taken off the "oil throttle cable " then maybe had to fix a "sticking throttle" lol...<br />good idea on the "loop on the nipples .." I woulda plugged them .<br /><br />I dont work on pwc very often ..and its good to have someone like you to keep from learning the hard way ..<br /><br />If you have a motorcycle problem , golf cart<br />or tractor .<br />let me know ,maybe I can return the favor.<br />thanks again<br />Carl( heybaylor)

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

cool but I have 4 jet skis a boat and a pain in the butt wife I don't need any more problems, LOL.

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

I jsut sold my jet skis a few months back.<br />Definately loose the oil injection. as for oil I used pennzoil 2 stroke synthetic on both my Yamaha 1100 and my sea doo for as long as I remember and never had a problem. the yamaha was very modified but the sea doo was stock.<br />Rob

GeeFrankk

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Guys...have been reading the posts, son has purchased a 97 seadoo XP 787 engine which is locked up. Paid 200 for ski and trailer. At present the repair manual is off the coast of Africa, he's in the navy, and I'm taking the eng. apart. Curious as to which way to go, rebuild this one or buy a rebuild from sbt? May just need new sleeves, carb kits, new rings/pistons for this one? Son has the experience on these pigs, dad just doing the grunt work, but enjoys the shady tree. Thanks....