IMG_3535.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3536.jpg
    IMG_3536.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 0

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 96 Johnson 88 SPL - what does this do

It's a trail lock. You push it down to support the motor when trailering, etc. so you don't lock up your PT&T.

If the boat is on the water and you want to leave the motor tilted up, you should use the trail locks and withdraw the trim rams.

It's good practice to fully withdraw the trim rams when the motor is not in use, so they don't corrode.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I never would have guessed that is what it did, the PO knew nothing about the boat or trailer. Also didn't realize how far up the motor tilted. Thank you

Now that I understand this. Should I be using a transom saver in addition to locking the motor in this position?

http://www.iboats.com/Springfield-A...79117430--**********.938570799--view_id.20695

The motor is fairly well balanced on the transom when the motor is tilted, so the trail locks are adequate for most situations where extreme terrain is not involved.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The engine will be fine using the trail lock. It's the boat transom which suffers. Repeated forward and back movements of a tilted engine while trailering places stress on the transom. A transom saver bar helps to steady the engine when on long highway trips.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Agree completely with the "balance" statement.
I have a transom saver but to be honest hardly use it any more for that very reason.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

It's a trail lock. You push it down to support the motor when trailering, etc. so you don't lock up your PT&T.

If the boat is on the water and you want to leave the motor tilted up, you should use the trail locks and withdraw the trim rams.

It's good practice to fully withdraw the trim rams when the motor is not in use, so they don't corrode.

can you withdraw the trim rods with out the tilt feature closing????

its the same switch, at least on the controls i have seen....I always that they worked in order and no independantly...and dont see how

I mean if you try to block the tilt feature....like with a transom saver or that trailering lever in the picture, and try to close the PTNT...you really put a ton of pressure on what ever is in the way....

making me think you can't get close enough to have the trim rod collapse

bob

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

It's really simple stuff; the trim rams go down first and the tilt cylinder isn't powerful enough to pull the motor down with the trail locks in place. You know when to stop by the sound when you have gone far enough, even if you are not watching them.

The trim rams are push rods, they are not connected to the motor and don't pull anything, they just push to offset the thrust of the engine when underway.

The fact is that keeping the trim rams greased and withdrawn when not in use protects them from corrosion. Corrosion = failure. Most people who have worked very long around salt water already know that.

Attachments

• Trim push rods.JPG
    Trim push rods.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 0

2rz-fte

Seaman

i have a 96 88 spl as well but only i have electric tilt and trim. all comments agreed. here is a pic of my setup.

i use it anytime the motor is up for a long duration (storage) that way i can keep the rams all the way in. to prevent corrosion as everybody else said.

Attachments

• motor transom.jpg
    motor transom.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 0

2rz-fte

Seaman

heres a bigger pic

Attachments

• motor transom2.JPG
    motor transom2.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 0

milmat1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You flip the lever first, then when you tilt the motor it will stay. Flip lever again and pick up on motor and it will snap back and let motor come down all the way.

How does the 88SPL Run ? I hear these things are nearly bullet proof...

2rz-fte

Seaman

look hydraulic to me....

it may be electrical motor driven...but that just runs the motor that drives the hydraulic system...

bob

it is electric. the trim/tilt works with the motor off.

How does the 88SPL Run ? I hear these things are nearly bullet proof...

i had a "sneezing" issue that ended up being worse than a backfire. my motor was firing 2 clyinders at once. basically as one piston is going up the motor was trying to fire it. not so good. it would have a violent stall. well i fixed it and it runs tits now. im sure if this motor wasnt so bulletproof i would have a much more expensive mechanic bill.

the SPL was supposed to be evinrude's way of keeping cost down. so its basically the exact same motor as the 88 but without electic tilt/trim. mine has this but apparently it was added on after the fact.

also, its the same bottom end as a 115. change the intake/exhaust manifolds and the carbs and you should have yourself an extra 25hp. but i like the reliability of not messing with anything.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

it is electric. the trim/tilt works with the motor off.

i had a "sneezing" issue that ended up being worse than a backfire. my motor was firing 2 clyinders at once. basically as one piston is going up the motor was trying to fire it. not so good. it would have a violent stall. well i fixed it and it runs tits now. im sure if this motor wasnt so bulletproof i would have a much more expensive mechanic bill.

the SPL was supposed to be evinrude's way of keeping cost down. so its basically the exact same motor as the 88 but without electic tilt/trim. mine has this but apparently it was added on after the fact.

also, its the same bottom end as a 115. change the intake/exhaust manifolds and the carbs and you should have yourself an extra 25hp. but i like the reliability of not messing with anything.

I am sure it is activated by the electric switch, but the electricity drives an electrical motor in the TNT unit which pumps hydraulic fluid to the pistons..and thus makes it a hydraulic unit..

so for terminologys sake...they commonly call those units hydraulic TNT

they do make 100% electrical TNT units. but i am pretty sure they are all aftermarket products..

bob