96 Johnson 150 - Sputtering at idle when warm

budsbud662

Seaman
I have a 96 Johnson 150. It has extremely low hours, When i take the cover off, everything looks like it did on the show room floor. It runs Great, The problem is, I go on a 10 minute run, fish for 2 hrs, i go to start the motor and it idles and coughs. i get on the throttle and it dies. once i repeat this prodcedure i get on her, she stutters for a second, and then takes off and runs fine. if i stop it idles fine. it only does it on a warm start. and occasional cough at cold start, but never dies on cold start... Does anyone have an idea? it has a new VRO pump. i also get an occasional "no oil light" at idle. I had previous low fuel pressure problems that i bieleve were solved by a loose hose on a carb, i dont know if the problems are related.. once the motor is running and done coughing. it gets on plane great. the motor runs, sounds and looks good. doesnt seem to be any problems at WOT.

Is there a way to find out what cylidner is causing the cough? or miss?

Does anyone know how to fix this?

The guy that had previously owned this motor traded it in for a new etec because of the cough. i got a great deal on it knowing you guys at iboats will help me get it fixed. the motor has far less then 100hrs on it.

budsbud662

Seaman
Re: 96 Johnson 150 - Sputtering at idle when warm

Is there a fuel filter built into the motor that i can change? would this be a good place to start? Im thinking that the proper amount of fuel isnt being put into the cylinder causing a lean enviroment resulting in the cough? Carbs need cleaned? or re-jetted?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it's a 96, low hours the carbs probably have never been cleaned an rebuilt. sitting is not good for them, as the gas in them gets old, and builds up crud.
that would be my first impression.

budsbud662

Seaman

True, is it possible the new VRO is bad? however the old one was replaced because of the same problems im having now (occasional no oil light at idle). The first 25 hrs i put on the motor i never had a 'no oil light' go on. Now i tend not to stay in idle to prevent it from coming on.

Will a dirty carb trigger the "no oil alarm".. if it can. im also agreeing this is the problem.

budsbud662

Seaman

ttt. anyone offer more advice befor i rip into the carbs?

deviljohn

Seaman Apprentice

you can put some clear 5/16 hose w/ male/male hose barbs at the input before the inline filter behind the breather box, as well as at the out puts ea. side at the plastic input tubes on the throttle bodies to see if you are sucking air somewhere....that's what I just went thru on my V6 150 Ocean pro...my fuel pump was drawing air into the system.

when you said replace VRO do you mean the oil pump itself, or the entire Air motor/fuel diapragm/VRO assy.??? I had a bad shaft seal in the intermediate housing of my VRO allowing crank gases to get into the fuel side...it caused poor idle, cutting off at idle, sputtering etc... but disappeared above 1400 rpm or so......

Last edited:

budsbud662

Seaman

When the previous owner of the motor had the "no oil" light problem they declared it was a VRO problem and replaced the whole unit. (i was told the whole unit includes the fuel pump). the owner paid the bill, and got reimbursed in a trade in on a new ETEC. I bought the motor because of the low hours, and i thought the problem was fixed. for the first 3 months no lights ever came on. now if idle for more then 2 minutes its sure to come on..

What your saying makes sence. if there is a loss of crank case pressure @ idle it wont beable to throw the plunger for the oil like it should, and would cause the alarm.

But after replacing the VRO, that should have fixed the loose connection as you describe, correct?

Thank you for the responce. it sounds like we have a simliar problem. anymore help or ideas would be great!

jtcarter

Petty Officer 1st Class

When the previous owner of the motor had the "no oil" light problem they declared it was a VRO problem and replaced the whole unit. (i was told the whole unit includes the fuel pump). the owner paid the bill, and got reimbursed in a trade in on a new ETEC. I bought the motor because of the low hours, and i thought the problem was fixed. for the first 3 months no lights ever came on. now if idle for more then 2 minutes its sure to come on..

What your saying makes sence. if there is a loss of crank case pressure @ idle it wont beable to throw the plunger for the oil like it should, and would cause the alarm.

But after replacing the VRO, that should have fixed the loose connection as you describe, correct?

Thank you for the responce. it sounds like we have a simliar problem. anymore help or ideas would be great!
Try a little experiment. Next time your out. Do your normal thing ride around fish. Take your cowling off after you stop and do it all day. If your motor runs fine no problems then you have the dreaded heat soak,lol. Good luck on fixing it though, mine has had this problem all year. Finally junked the vro and went to a electric pump and premix. I wish i could tell you how it did but i haven't ran it yet.

Benny1963

Lieutenant

go to premix with waterfuel seperator . you can always go back thru your vro
and you will have a back up ,

budsbud662

Seaman

For future viewers of this post, i have found some valuable information after doing a search on "heat soaking 60 degrees". I will post a link to possibly help others.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Just a side note - your motor did not come with a VRO. Let's hope they replaced the pump with an OMS pump like it's supposed to have.