96 Evinrude 115, M#E115ELEDR

coyedsel

Cadet
Bought the motor on EBAY, with controls. When I got motor there was Shift/speed control, with cables. One large cable, from engine, with 4 different connectors and 2 cables with 3 wires. No key or start switch. No choke or fast idle control. None of the wireing will connect to my boat. I have ordered a EV. manual, but forum posts indicate it will not be much help. Question is --What is the minimum I need to see if the motor will run and where might I get the instruments and controls I need?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 96 Evinrude 115, M#E115ELEDR

You need a remote control, part # 5006180. This fits 1996 and newer engines. It sounds like you have the correct wiring harness .I can post a picture if you need one..Also will need the throttle/shift cables if the ones you have dont work..Post a picture of what you have before buying anything as you may have correct items

coyedsel

Cadet

This is the controler and the wireing harness I have. Can you tell me what conects to the harness and what I need to add to the controler to start the engine?

2s6vko3.jpg
2jfao11.jpg

ej7s7b.jpg
2mo8t3l.jpg

jqhw21.jpg
o6jrmf.jpg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the plug on the control is for the trim and tilt, the yellow wires are the neutral switch.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The remote control that you have is P/N 174930 and P/N 175071, called "Concealed Side Mount with Trim Switch". It was used in conjunction with a dash mounted ignition system and has no self contained facility for an ignition switch or safety lanyard. It does of course contain the neutral switch which as tashasdaddy has said, is the yellow wires. One neutral switch wire would be wired to the 'S' post on the ignition switch, and the other to the harness leading to the engine.

The control is flexible in that it can be mounted on either side of the boat.

There is nothing that would prevent the use of that control with the motor that you have, provided that you have the proper space to set up the rest of the wiring.

BTW, the fast idle on that control is the button in the center of the base of the control arm; pushing the button allows the throttle arm to be advanced without engaging the gears.

coyedsel

Cadet

Many thanks!! Do I need to get plug in connectors for the switch and instruments (do I even need the instruments the owners manual mentions?) or can I just cut and splice them into the wireing harness?

coyedsel

Cadet

I have a temp. gauge and tach mounted in my boat which I assume I can splice into the harness (I found a color code for the wireing). Is there anything else that I should have? ps. The old wireing from my 'retired' 74, 85HP EV. is still in the boat.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

If you already have your boat set up with a red plug system, there are harnesses that will merge the two systems.

The least expensive one is for motors without the system check electronics. That one is Part #176349.

The one for motors with the system check electronics is Part # 176345.

coyedsel

Cadet

Many thanks and one last question. How do I determine if my engine is set up for the systems check? Thanks for all the info. and hope I do not have to bother you again.

clementine

Recruit

Hello,
I have read the postings and have a question of my own that relates to this side mount control. I believe I have the same control on my 1998 four winns vista 258. I have had a problem with the stern drive going down unexplainably and traced the problem to the tilt/trim switch in the side mount control arm. I removed the switch and confirmed that the switch is faulty. I would like to replace just the switch, yet I haven't found anywhere on the net where I can get the exact replacement. The switch has only one stamp on it: CW-1. There are three wire leads coming out of this oval sealed switch:red, green, and blue. Anyone know where I can get just the switch? Part number? Help!!!:confused:

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You can find the correct switch by doing the following:

First, go here http://epc.brp.com/default.aspx?brands=ej&lang=e

Then navigate to the pick list at the "products" window and select "OB Accessories";

Select "1998";

Select "Remote Control"

Find your remote control and click on the number pointing to the switch.