95Johnson130: clicking noise normal, speed?

SCO

Lieutenant
This motor has a clicking noise that seems to occur about once per rev that is noticable at idle. Sounds like valve clatter. Any ideas? Is is normal or a problem? <br /><br />Also, the boat tops out at near 6000 rpm, 35 mph or so with a 21 pitch prop. My glastron gets much more speed per rpm. Does this sound normal? can you have a spun hub that will perform this well?<br /><br />Thanks

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 95Johnson130: clicking noise normal, speed?

If you have cast pistons the "clicking" may be normal. Or you may have some rings that are starting to stick and are not supporting the piston as well as they should.<br /><br />If you are indeed only going 35 mph with a 21" prop at 6000 rpm your slip is over 40% and something is VERY wrong. Make sure your tach is set on position 6.<br /><br />Good luck!

SCO

Lieutenant
Re: 95Johnson130: clicking noise normal, speed?

I checked the tach, and am on position 6 though it didn't seem to click from position to position. I am wondering now if it is broken or if some tachs don't click into position on the pulse switch. I am going to repost in the boats section because this is now purely a setup problem. I hope you will look for it in that section Dhadley.