95 Mercruiser Alpha One Gen II Winterization

mitchell2345

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi,

Getting ready to do my first winterization on my boat.

The Plan:
1. Change Fuel filter
2. Change Oil (engine & drive)
3. Fog Carb & Cylinders
4. Pull two block drains, let drain and reattach
5. Pull hoses off bottom of manifolds to drain, reattach
6. Pull hoses off ??????

Step six is where I am a little confused. (all on page 1B-29 on service manaul #17) Which hoses do I need to pull from the water pump and drain? Do I need to pour antifreeze in any of them? Seem to read people doing it each way. The service manual says "Remove the engine water circulating pump hose" Which is that on my pic?

And this step: "Remove the power steering fluid cooler-to-seawaterhose, as shown." Haven't read anything on that...needed?

IMG_20120923_181237.jpg

Thanks,
Mitchell

BlueLightSpecial

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 95 Mercruiser Alpha One Gen II Winterization

What I do is overkill, but I pull all the hoses to drain, pull the lower hose on the circulation pump, reconnect all the hoses to their lower locations, leaving the upper locations off, pull the thermostat housing, replace the thermostat, fill the engine block with -100 a/f until it comes out the thermostat hole on the intake manifold, stick a funnel in each hose, and fill with a/f, then reinstall thermostat housing with new gasket, reconnect all the hoses. I know there are guys on here that say drain it, no a/f, because air doesnt freeze. I am too paranoid that there will still be water laying somewhere, so that is why I use -100, assuming there is still some residual water in the water jackets etc, so even when dilluted, it should still provide adequate protection. Hope this helps. BTW, I am not sure about the P/S cooler, but I would drain it for sure, too in fact, I would probably use a funnel if possible, and pour a/f down that hose to help protect the out drive too. Then again, thats me doing things overkill!:D

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you drain the engine, there is no need for anti-freeze, air don't freeze. And if you don't drain the cooling system first, you can't add antif freeze.

The hoses in your picture are of your thermostat housing, not the water pump (aka circulation pump). Remove the big hose from the circulation pump so the water drains out of the pump.

And this step: "Remove the power steering fluid cooler-to-seawaterhose, as shown." Haven't read anything on that...needed?

You just typed in what you read about it, then say you haven't read anything on it ??????????? You just did.
Of course it's needed, unless you want to replace the cooler in the spring because it's cracked.

mitchell2345

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You just typed in what you read about it, then say you haven't read anything on it ??????????? You just did.
Of course it's needed, unless you want to replace the cooler in the spring because it's cracked.

haha that doesnt make much sense does it...what i meant to say is i read that in the manual but reading other posts no one seems to mention that step. Ill take a look for the connection this weekend.

Thanks!

Don S

Not everyone has power steering, so no cooler to drain. If you have one, you need to drain it, rather it's talked about a lot or not,.

mitchell2345

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not everyone has power steering, so no cooler to drain. If you have one, you need to drain it, rather it's talked about a lot or not,.

Cool...what side is the tube on?

Don S

Step six is where I am a little confused. (all on page 1B-29 on service manaul #17)

Look at the picture on the bottom left of page 1B-29

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer

on the undersides of each manifold you should find a brass hex shaped plug maybe blocked with sediment/rust after removing so may require a puggle with an implement.
remember stabilizer in the fuel tank before running for the last time.
hose will be the largest one at the bottom on the waterpump driven by the belts.
could slacken the belt too via the alternator adjustment so the belt doesn't set.