95' Horizon floor repair questions. -is oak the best home depot flooring?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 95' Horizon floor repair questions. -is oak the best home depot flooring?

What would you use the Cedar For??? To do a complete and Thorough restoration of the substructure of your boat, it will be necessasary for you to remove the top cap. It is NOT that hard of a job and it WILL make the job a whole lot easier for you.

rickryder

Commander

Mine was a royal PITA..... I proped the cap up with some 2x4 and had 1 1/2" to work under it......if I had to do it over again the cap would come off!

bigike

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well after drilling some holes the rot is only at the bow rider/ski locker/ and drivers side stringer...

I thought the sole was 3/4 after a lot of cutting its 1/2. We are going to plane down the 3/4" to 1/2" on the corners. Using 2x4 for the cleats. I'm going to delete the tank cover also... but i will have an access cover for the sending unit...

Have any of you hear of PL400 Loctite? I was looking for PL glue and thats what i found...

Foam that is in and near the rot is super dry on core sampling... :)

rickryder

Commander

I use pl 400 all the time for sub floors when building additions..... good stuff IMO

relocyo

Chief Petty Officer

I believe the preferred is PL Premium construction adhesive from what ive read... And its dirt cheap...

bigike

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Good deal, i've seen it and the pl premium used on the forums. We have inserted the cleats for the patch and the ski locker delete.

We went with 2x4 for the cleats for strength, and used the pl 400 prior to screwing them in. The cross braces were 2x4 also, and i cant remember what the proper term is but a groove was cut into the cleat and cross brace. These were also pl 400 and screwed in.

We used 3/4" ply, and had to plane the areas that secure to the cleats down to 1/2".

The tank cover will be 3/4 also, we are just moving the cleats 1/4" to make up the difference.

Got all the old adhesive off, waiting for overtons to send the primer... Went to bass pro shops, they sold tuff coat non skid, but not the primer or the rollers... haha.

bigike

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well got the front section fixed and glassed in... pita

But on further investigation the gas tank area stringers are rotted, right where the screws were once again, upset that Four Winns didn't spend a few more hours in the building of this boat... All the floor issues are due to the screws for the bow area and gas tank cover... No wet foam... Also they didn't cap the stringers in 1995... I won't be buying another 4 winns cause of this.

We are patching it, and i know thats not the best thing. but we are putting a lot of strength and resin in it with heavy lumber and resin in the rotted areas. On my way home from my buddies shop im going to stop at a boat shop and get a quote... 2-3 years i'll be able to drop the 5 g's on a new floor... This patch will cost me 600$.