95 Four winns 5.8L OMC Cobra

JPLyons

Recruit
I’ve had an 18’ Maxum Mercruiser 3.0, and am considering a 20’ Four winns 5.8L for the first time. Found a 95 for sale locally, and the seller is asking $8500, which I’ve researched and the trailer is original & needs upgrades, so not much value there. JD Power shows average retail at $5300. I’m definitely negotiating the price but the boat looks to be well-cared for. I’m not familiar with these engines, so what should I be aware of? IMG_2243.jpegIMG_2241.jpegIMG_2239.jpeg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
am considering a 20’ Four winns 5.8L I’m not familiar with these engines, so what should I be aware of? View attachment 395743
none of the fuel injection parts are available. so when it breaks, you have to convert to carb. Ford went out of the marine business about the time your boat was new.

OMC went out of business probably as they were pushing your boat out the building.

we normally tell people avoid ford and avoid OMC.

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Ill be a bit kinder and gentler than Danforth, (but not much)... the base engine is your run of the mill Ford 351 (5.8l) truck based engine, only "marinized". The EFI on this is as Danforth said, DOA if anything goes pear shaped. Convert it to carburetor and be done with it if that happens. Being a 1995, the drive should be a Volvo SX in drag (my 95 Four Winns is).... you can tell this by a "hump" on the top of the drive, vs a smooth top. This is still not "desireable" but its not trash. The guts and servicing are the same as a similar year Volvo, and as such are pretty robust, being a cone clutch design. Parts are still relatively available, but finding someone who will work on a nearly 30 year old boat can be a challenge. Use these as negotiating points, especially the engine..... Personally I think $8500 is outlandish, and even the $5300 is a bit rich for my blood...... This is before you even get into hull condition, as although those year Four Winns have "non-wood" stringers, the deck and transom are still very much wooden.... at least on mine, the deck is plywood and WAS NOT encapsulated in any way...... add this to your knowledge bank, and negotiate accordingly....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Look very carefully at the outdrive. If it’s the joint venture OMC & Volvo Cobra which is the same as the Volvo SX besides the issue with NLA parts for the Ford EFI & ignition it may be an OK deal. However if it’s the OMC King Cobra cone clutch do not buy it. Very few parts are available for them. The boat could have either depending on the model #. Post up a pic of the outdrive.
Beyond that check that carpeted deck VERY CAREFULLY for rot. I hate carpet in boats it traps moisture & rots the plywood deck core.

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Look very carefully at the outdrive. If it’s the joint venture OMC & Volvo Cobra which is the same as the Volvo SX besides the issue with NLA parts for the Ford EFI & ignition it may be an OK deal. However if it’s the OMC King Cobra cone clutch do not buy it. Very few parts are available for them. The boat could have either depending on the model #. Post up a pic of the outdrive.
Beyond that check that carpeted deck VERY CAREFULLY for rot. I hate carpet in boats it traps moisture & rots the plywood deck core.

DIdnt think of the King Cobra, although my 1995 manuals only show the King Cobra behind a 7.4. Who knows what actually rolled off the line though.....