94 Regal 222se vinyl coverd dash restoration, repair plastic cracks, install gauges

gerard143

Cadet
Hello all.... see my pics..... I tore the dash out of my 1994 regal valanti 222se.

Here is what I plan to do. The dash is made of formed plastic with vinyl adhered to it. The vinyl is faded and doesn't look so hot. Even after cleaning it. So I'm curious.... rather then try to find someone who can reapply new vinyl and go to that expense (also afraid it will bubble up and won't bond as good as it did from factory) what if I just repainted it base/clear with a good hvlp gun (i've painted a few cars in the past) Do you think this will hold up well and adhere to the vinyl well. I'm concerned about it getting scratched up and looking horrible in two years. Anyone have experience with painting them and can vouch from experience how it holds up? I realize they sell vinyl specific paint and that is another question.... will regular urethane automotive paint adhere well?

Another question is.... what should I use to repair the cracks in the plastic on the backside. There is some significant cracks. Just use a good epoxy? I don't have a plastic welder. What i'd really like to use is an acrylic solvent that actually melts the plastic back together... like this stuff.. http://www.delviesplastics.com/mm5/...Y&Store_Code=DPI&Category_Code=Acrylic_Cement It also bonds a few other types of plastic and I realize my dash isn't acrylic but i'd like to hope it'd work. I just have no idea what kind of plastic my dash is made of.

I just want to freshen it up and make it look very nice. I plan to paint the metal parts as well, replace all the rocker switches, and I have a set of nice new gauges to install.

thanks so much for your help everyone!

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 1

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 94 Regal 222se vinyl coverd dash restoration, repair plastic cracks, install gaug

I have the exact same problem on my dash on my Regal 17.6 Valanti. I use to paint cars as a hobby about 15 years ago. I worked on corvettes and did a slope nose kit on a porsche. I have never been impressed with flexible paint or speciality paint designed for painting urethane bumpers etc.

I am contemplating using the old instrument pannel as a mold for a fiberglass dash pannel. I think it would be really easy to do. The underside is smooth plastic. With a little wax, it would make the perfect mold. All the holes for the cut out would need to be plugged from the outside first. You could use ABS plastic for that (realy cheap at your local car steroe store). Then just turn it over and put a light layer of glass on the inside. Once it sets, pull it out and you have your rough dash pannel. You can then add a layer of glass on the top side and coat the whole thing in some high build primer or fairing compound if necessary. When you are done you will be left with a very strong surface you can paint.

You other option is to loof for a new dash pannel. A lot of marine stores actually sell these. You might be able to get one to fit into place even if it's slightly different. That would be the easiest way to do it.

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 94 Regal 222se vinyl coverd dash restoration, repair plastic cracks, install gaug

What did you end up doing with your dash? I might be looking for an easier solution then the one I offered.

gerard143

Cadet

i just used pvc glue to bond all the cracks on the backside. worked great. i painted the dash with vinyl paint. that stuff is amazing. its more like dye. you cannot scratch it off like paint at all. bonds incredible.
i had some wood grain dash accents made (quality stuff like you'd find in a mercedes with 3m double sided tape backing) and installed new rockers and gauges. the boat looks like a 2011 model. too bad the photo size limit on this forum sucks.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 004 (2).jpg
    004 (2).jpg
    68 KB · Views: 1
  • wood grain 009.jpg
    wood grain 009.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 1