94 Johnson 25-Gear Case Removal

I ran across this site a few months back and you folks seem to really know what you are talking about so I figured I would try here for help.
I have a 94 Johnson 25HP, J25RERC, electric start. I am attemping to replace the water pump. I have disasembled the shift connector behind the water intakes and unbolted the lower unit. The lower gear case slips down but not off. The shift rod is holding it. The top part of the shift connector will not pass through the pump and I can not see where to disconeect the rod in the upper unit. I bought a Clydes manual but it is really worthless as it show all models 4 to 300 HP for multiple years so it is kinda generic but not model specific. Can anyone give me advice on my problem?:confused:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 94 Johnson 25-Gear Case Removal

there is a split ferrell under the connector nut, slide the nut up, then remove the split ferrell then the nut will come off. it is like a compression fitting.

Re: 94 Johnson 25-Gear Case Removal

I saw a split ferrell on the lower rod, didn't see one on the top part under the connector, it turns but doesn't slide up and down on the rod easily and I didn't want to break anything. How much force can I use to move the connector up on the rod to access the ferrell without damaging anything.