'94 Crownline 182 Restore transom/stringers/deck

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmm Yeah I just put a Rag over the top and saturate it. If it need Liquid I use a BIG Plastic bowl from the Dollar Store to make sure I can hit it!!!!:eek:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Oh, I just LOVE the dribble on the floor when you go to fill a container with acetone from a full can....:frusty:

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Yeah, they sure like to mark their territory. Now here is a container I love! Contoured to fit your hand, no drips, the stuff goes right where you need it and easy to close with one finger!

Rickmerrill

Probably not, even though it is big, bold and spicy! Besides, I'd have an accident and put my eye out - just like a BB gun I guess.

Rickmerrill

Since pouring the foam I cleaned up everything, used a plunge router to clear the foam around the holes (which worked good), PB'd the plugs in, tabbed the deck to the hull, coated the deck and got the first layer of CSM down. It hit the low 70's for a few hours today, probably the last time for a while, so I pushed as hard as I could to get this far. Here are a couple if pictures of the deck.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
That looks REALLY good! Nice Work! I bet that deck feels super-solid underfoot!

Rickmerrill

Why thank you very much. Managed to get the second layer down today so as I think you said the major glassing is done! So far I have bought 40 gallons of resin and used almost 36. Between all the little things still left to do the last 4 gallons should cover it with a gallon or so to spare.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Nice job. The deck looks great. Did you save the old bow supports for templates or are you reusing them?

Tnstratofam

Commander
Did you cut them out or were they attached to the bow seats with something? My bow supports on my Stratos are part of the bow seating structure. I mean I realize they are just tabbed in to the deck, but I've contemplated how to cut them out and then reuse them is why I ask. I know others have rebuilt them I'm just not sure which is better.

Rickmerrill

Tnstratofam, I'm not sure I'm understanding (I'm slow) but I cut mine out, it is molded into the cap. Is yours like that?. I will glass it back in and it has vynal strips of upholstery that will cover the scar. It literally sits on the deck, had deck carpet under it and the only thing attaching it to the deck are three SS bolts going across the back just in front of the ski locker. Now you got me wondering if that carpeting was doing a little sound deadening and I don't plan to have the carpet under it this time.

Rickmerrill

Wood I don't know where you come up with some of this stuff, it was funny and I sure do appreciate it. If I made a video of the "process" it would be an Iboats Funniest Home Videos kind of thing.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Rick after I went back and looked at the post you had with the seat base bottom I realized how yours tied in. Mine is similar. I remember how much of a pain Frisco boater had rebuilding his. Mine are similar to his. I think I can cut mine out like you did. If I have a steady enough hand. Sorry I wasn't making any sense.

Rickmerrill

Ah it looks like what I have. I don't have the steadiest hand but I marked a line with a sharpie taped to a stick and slid it across the walkway. A cutoff wheel in a grinder followed the line pretty easily but I'm not sure the cut needs to be that straight - guess how you finish it has something to do with it. If you do decide to cut it I'd consider how much room you need for access up there and how easy it will be to repair/cover it up. Mine has a panel that covers everything from top to bottom. You might think about making an upholstered trim piece or starboard or whatever to hide the cut if you don't want to try to gelcoat and color match or repaint. Here is One of my panels that covers the sides up front so I could pretty much cut wherever I wanted.