93 Alpha I problems

fyrfightr

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok, Hi all. I have a 93 4.3 with an Alpha I that I bought last fall. The drive serial # is OD889087.This boat was an Indiana DNR boat and has 2200 hrs on it, and it spent summers docked in fresh water. I have a few problems so I will start with outdrive questions.

I have Chocolate colored drive oil when I drained it, found fishing line on prop shaft. I feel I need to replace the Prop shaft seal, however the inside of the housing where the large nut is has a fair amount of corosion. Can the seal be replaced without pulling this assembly out?

Pulled the drive off and gimbal bearing is trashed. I also found small amount of water in bellows, however u-joints and drive shaft show no signs of rust and look/feel good. Can I get the gimbal bearing out without buying Merc's special puller?

Figured I would replace all the bellows and such while I'm into the drive. I have a Seloc manual, but would like a link to the Merc manual...

I'm also having power steering and shifting problems but I will start other treads for those questions...

BAYLINER185

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 93 Alpha I problems

You need a bearing puller from what Ive read but I think you can actually rent one at autozone or something like that. I dont thinks its a hard job to replace the gimbal bearing once you do get it out.

I never done it so I dont know. I also undersand that you cant really tell if thr U joints are good or bad simply bu feeling them. Sure if they are relaly bad I guess it would be obvious but they need to be pulled to see if the bearings are ok or scoring the shafts......In that case I just replace them since they are out to begin with.

Personally I have gotten away on my pervious boat with just re greasing them through the greese fitting ( if equipt ) and as long as the drive shaft moved good with no play I left it alone. Granted I didnt know better back then but what are you gonna do? I just had all that work done on my 93 cruser and it made a night and day differance!