93 175 control cable help

rcracerx

Seaman
I bought a boat with a 93 175 ocean runner on it. The throttle and shift cables were rusted and frozen and would not move with the shift handle. I bought new cables and I am in the process of installing them. The throttle cable was easy enough to install because I was able to move the throttle linkage manually to the position required to get the cable to sit in its holder properly. The problem is with the transmission cable, it seems that to get the cable to sit in the bracket properly I need to get the shifter linkage to move towards the rear of the engine. I can not move the shift linkage by hand for the life of me, is there something I need to do to be able to shift the transmission by hand so I can get my cable installed?

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Rc

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 93 175 control cable help

the shift on the motor needs to be in neutral, and you have to have the control in neutral, and adjust the trunion nut. throttle needs to be at idle, motor and controller, and adjust the trunion nut.

if you need to shift the motor, have some one turn the prop by hand so the gears line up.

rcracerx

Seaman

Thanks, so the trick is to rotate the prop while I am pushing the transmission linkage and it will then fall into place and shift?

Does it matter what way the prop is rotated while doing this clockwise or counter clockwise?

Right now the remote is apart until I can get a new tilt/trim switch for the handle and clean it up but I wanted to get the motor side done today. After I get the remote fixed up I will worry about the adjustments, although I do have the old cables and plan to use the position of the trunion nuts as a starting point.

Another question. - The clips that hold the remote cables on the linkage of the motor pretty much got destroyed in the removal process. Can I use regular cotter pins to secure the cables on the linkage?

Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

cotter pins are fine. you are right on track.

rcracerx

Seaman

I hate to drag this thread back up but I have a problem it appears.

I had a helper turn the prop for me while I tried engaging gears manually using the shift linkage on the motor but it would not budge. Cables are currently disconnected. The linkage seems to move a little 1/4 inch or so but after looking at it it would appear that where it connects to a rod under the carb area it is not moving. Is there anyway for me to verify that this rod is not functioning properly? Should I be able to push or pull this rod up and down?

Does anyone have any other advice that I could try to see why this motor will not engage any gears? Does the lower unit have to come off to inspect this problem?

Thanks for any advice

Rc

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Take the spark plugs out and turn the flywheel clockwise; with no resistance it should turn and allow you to move the shift lever.

Is the shift rod up or down?

rcracerx

Seaman

Thanks for your reply. I am not sure if it is up or down now. When I took the old cables off it was in neutral. The prop spins freely by hand right now. I can just barely see the shift rod poking up under the carbs.

Unfortunately this time of the year I can only get out there on the weekends, I leave for work in the dark and come home in the dark. :( I will definitely try your suggestion this weekend, hopefully I can get it to engage and there is nothing seriously wrong.

If you have any other ideas or suggestion I can try if that fails I am all ears. I will have 5 days of planning before my next attack on Saturday.

Thanks
Rc

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

If the prop is spinning freely the unit is in neutral, which is where you want it to be.

You then need to adjust the cable by moving the control arm all the way forward and back to neutral to take up the slack, then adjusting with the trunnion nut until the cable slips back on the lever without moving the lever at all.

Moving the flywheel as described previously should allow the dog to engage the gears. Coming out of neutral with the prop moving does not do anything.

rcracerx

Seaman

Thanks for the advice, I will try it this weekend for sure. I will most likely be back asking more questions. :) :)

Thanks!

Rc

rcracerx

Seaman

Just a follow up on this in case somebody in the future has a similar problem.

I ended up dropping the lower end to do a water pump and impeller and I found the shift rod would not budge. I removed the shift rod from the lower unit and there is 2 o rings in the shift rod cover that were destroyed. I replaced the o rings cleaned up the shift rod put it back in and measured the height. Put everything back together and she shifts great now. Pumping lots of water too now. :)

Thanks for the advice.

Rc