92' Merc 200 burning pistons

Kenny Bush

Chief Petty Officer
Does anyone out there know why I keep burning up pistons. I have a motor with less than 50 total hours on it and I have put 2(number one and 2)pistons in it and after 15 hours of double-oil breakin, number 3 seems to be melting away at the top edge. I have not even showered down on this motor yet. The Timing is on the money. This is a carb'd and oil injected motor. All the plugs are oily..

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: 92' Merc 200 burning pistons

Dang B/C,<br />I'll bet that's gettin' to be some really old caca.<br />Ya say nr. 3 starting to show signs. If the top edge of that piston closest to the exhaust port is where the melting (burning) is happening, your fual / air ratio is to lean. Several causes, like air leak, carb jetting to lean,etc. You got the picture?<br />You've got oil, timing, fuel and way to much air.<br />Keep us posted.<br /><br />g/luck & c/6<br /><br />Hooty

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 92' Merc 200 burning pistons

Howdy, Bushcat.<br /><br />What Hooty suggests makes sense to me. You seem to have a problem with too much oil and not enough gas. I don't trust oil injected engines much unless they are Yammys.<br /><br />A lot of our Merc experts are engine men and don't visit this (Boats) forum much.<br /><br />You should get more responses over in the Engines and Motors Forum.<br /><br />Good luck.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)