92 Evinrude Tracker 60 HP will not crank

I am refurbishing my Suntracker and have removed all furniture and helm to be replaced. After all was removed I could start motor and use trim until yesterday. Now when I try to crank motor or use trim all I hear is a buzz from the motor for a few seconds then it stops. After around ten seconds or so I try cranking and same result. I was by myself so it was difficult to pinpoint sound but I tried the trim switch on the motor itself and I believe it was the same sound. It appears to be coming from what looks like one or two relays mounted to the motor head.
Any ideas?

Last edited:

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Try and jump your solenoid and then if that works then work back to your control box

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Now when I try to crank motor or use trim all I hear is a buzz from the motor for a few seconds then it stops.
Any ideas?

Load test battery. Clean cable ends (hint: there are 6 cable ends, 4 on main cables and 2 from solenoid to starter). Throw away wing nuts and use a star washer a nut and a wrench.

Many auto parts stores will load test battery for free, while you are there get a couple star washers and two nuts. might cost a 1$ plus the drive. Also buy a wire brush.

Report back results, this is just the 1st step.

bosunmate Not trying to step on toes. The tnt relays can buzz but so can the solenoid. If he is getting a buzzing while turning the key does that not point more to a current/solenoid issue as opposed to TNT relays or switch? My bad if I am mistaken.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
bosunmate Not trying to step on toes. The tnt relays can buzz but so can the solenoid. If he is getting a buzzing while turning the key does that not point more to a current/solenoid issue as opposed to TNT relays or switch? My bad if I am mistaken.

Dont worry about stepping on my toes, im not a china doll, happy to hear whenever im erring.
But yep i think your right, its more a solenoid issue i would say. Most likely the contacts in their are not contacting properly anymore, if he tests it directly then he can be there and have his ear right to the point of interest. I always carry a jumper wire in my boat just in case the solenoid goes sour. Much easier than rope starting!