'92 580 XP dies when tilted bow to stern

JKEP44

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My 580 has what I thought was a bad lanyard switch. It dies whenever the rear of the ski drops down under acceleration, jumps or even at idle when I stand up and lean back. It also does it when I lean forward. It dies and does not fire back up until I use the starter. I replaced the lanyard switch with no effect. I then used the old switch and direct wired it to make sure the new switch was good. Same thing, no effect. I am not sure if it does this out of water as it is rather hard to duplicate. Thanks for the help.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Re: '92 580 XP dies when tilted bow to stern

did you check the lanyard cap not the switch I have seen several caps where the fingers were worn and allowed the switch to make contact if the lanyard cord moved, start the engine and swing the lanyard like a jump rope in a circuler motion if the engine stalls replace the cap if not go in the ski and wiggle the wire harness and see if it cuts out, you could have a bad ground wire from the brain box to the battery or a corroded harness plug check all the contacts in the plug.

JKEP44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I wiggled every wire I could touch when I was out last. I ran it with the seat and storage comp off and cant get it to die. It is almost like it chokes itself out. Also with wiring I would think that it would just miss sometimes and not die completely. I also bypassed the lanyard switch completely with no change. I will look again though, thanks.

JKEP44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Let me make it clear, the last message sounds incorrect. It did still die with the seat and storage off just not as I wiggled wires. Just wanted to clear that up.

fordworker

Seaman Apprentice

check for water in fuel filter. check for decayed fuel pickup lines in gas tank? how about a short in the thumb kill switch on the handle bars?

JKEP44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I Pushed the handle bars forward and backward and then proceeded to bypass the handle bar switch just to be sure. It still runs just fine. I cannot make it do it on land. I pulled it really far back on the trailer so the weight was balanced over the axle. I moved it up and down really fast and high angles and it kept running. I am pretty sure it only does it in the water which makes it even wierder. Any ideas. There isnt like a low oil kill or something like that is there that could be malfunctioning?

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

on the trailer the rpm's are twice what they are in the water due to no load on the pump.so you are not duplicating the situation with the trailer. also there is no back preasure on the engine out of the water, but all that said it still would seem like you have a short in an electrical system, seadoo has a real problem with fuel delivery and fuel hoses going bad, plus carb problems, will it stall out just idleing or only when you give it gas, I always do the following with sea doo, first I do the carb and fuel pump, go through the thing and replace the internal filter and diaphraghm, plus the pump parts they rebuild kit has everything you need, then remove the factory fuel lines and replace them with vinyl tubing, that can be purchased at home depo for 10 cents a foot, on all the suction side fuel lines I use stainless clamps NO cable ties//// and I place a larger piece of tubing over the hose where the clamp goes so it seals really tight to avoid air getting pulled in the lines. I hook up to the reserve pickup tube in the tank and totally bypass the fuel switch as those are notorious for going bad, leaking air or just clogging up. some contraversial advice,, in the fuel pump do not mess with the clear check valves unless they are bad you need to know how to change those correctly or you will mess them up, also do not mess with the needle spring that is in the carb unless you know how to do pop off preasures in most cases leaving it how it came from the factory will work fine. once you have cleaned the carb and changed the fuel lines and replaced the internal carb parts you should notice a big improvement in how the engine runs and you should add a inline fuel filter just after the factory water trap filter, if you do this you will not be having problems with fuel delivery and you will be able to see the fuel going through the lines, when you remove the fuel lines you will notice a green slime where the lines are hooked to the carb, the fuel lines react with fuel addatives in todays fuel placed there as injector cleaner for automobile use. this slime cloggs up the selector switch and the internal filter in the carb, vinyl tubing will not do this and is quite inexpensive, this entire process should cost around 50 or 60 dollars and will avoid a lot of ruined jet ski outings, something you are experiencing now, nothing worse than going out for some fun and standing on the beach trying to decide what is wrong with the ski. I would also rule out exhaust obstructions by removing the system hoses and muffler to see if something is creating back preasuer but I really doubt this is the issue.

JKEP44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Jeff, I will take your advice. It looks like I am just going to stip the entire thing this winter and put it back together piece by piece to make sure everything is good. For now I am going to continue on the electrical path and try to salvage some of the remaining season.