92 30hp evinrude linc and sync

poida

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all
My motor will not idle down low and can be a pain to start unless i crack the throttle blade by putting a stick between the roller and the cam plate. I am well versed with the 9.9/15s with the throttle blade opening a touch when it hits a mark.
With this motor at 0 throttle i don't get to the marks and the throttle is shut. At fast idle it is not open at all either. There is not much movement either of the armiture between the two. Does anyone know what the marks mean and what i should be lining up to get it to start well and idle low.
I am going to go pull the carb and clean it up, would love to know how to set up the throttle.
No matter what i do with the throttle it never gets the roller to the marks on the armiture.

Last edited:

poida

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Bit of a fight with the new site, photo's should now be up.

poida

Petty Officer 3rd Class
ok, photo, not much point putting the other one up.

phillnjack2

Ensign
the site is terrible since update..i can get on about 1 in 5 attempts and photos are a joke. admin needs to do a few updates of the settings before too many members just leave the site.
this is not helping anyone in the community who is having boat / engine problems.

poida

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yep seen it happen to many forums over the years. Have never yet seen a forum revert to the old platform, many died a slow death. I'm sure i will get used to it, the one thing i could not find the other night was the advanced search option.
Anyway, any idea one the roller and the marks?

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
I'm not sure on the 30 but I think they are all the same. With the throttle closed adjust the roller until it just hits the marks. The roller should barely hit the marks so you can still easily turn the roller with your fingers. Get it running and adjust your idle by turning the timing screw. Not the wide open max timing but the adjustment on the at rest side. Fwiw the rollers wear out and the cams get ruff. Sand out the ruff spots and replace the roller if you need too. Grease everything up so it works smooth and your done. The length of the arm can be adjusted but leave it alone unless the other things don't get it right.