'91 suzuki 75 starting problems... Am i missing something?

BrettL

Cadet
Hello... Earlier this evening I purchased a 17 foot runabout with a suzuki 75. The motor started immediately and ran excellent, it seems to be a very low hour motor in good condition. I am stepping up the boating ladder, as I just went from a 35 johnson to a 75 suzuki. After I brought the motor home, i started it up once more with ear muffs, it ran fine, and then just stalled, I tried to restart the motor and it just wouldnt do it. I'm getting spark. Now, is there something I could be missing? The motor isnt even close to firing, is there some sort of safety device that shuts fuel off? I'm really eager to see what this motor could do. <br /><br />Thanks in advance,<br />Brett.

R_Andersen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: '91 suzuki 75 starting problems... Am i missing something?

Have you pumped the fuel bulb to see if it is pulling fuel and firms up? It's possible there is a shut off valve in the fuel line. Does the boat have a built in tank or are you using portable tanks? If the tank is built in, look around the area of the fuel filter/water seperator for a shutoff valve.<br /><br />-Rob

BrettL

Cadet

Thank you for your reply. They are portable tanks, and I did pump up the bulb. A couple of the fuel lines DO NOT firm up, and one bulb pumps only once and gets too firm to pump by hand. Its getting pretty confusing.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Brett

BrettL

Cadet

Just got it running, the problem was gas. The fuel in the tanks and lines was some of the worst gas anyone has ever seen. Cleaned out the fuel tanks and put new gas in them, along with a new hose. Took off the airbox, sprayed some starter fluid and the motor came back to life. Now, it runs perfectly.