91 Merc intermittant alarm

DRIFTER_016

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok, I have a 1991, 90hp 2 stroke Merc with an intermittant alarm issue.
The alarm will come on as a very weak/sick sounding beep as if there was a short to ground issue. I currently have the oil level switch disconnected (has been for years since the switch died) :rolleyes:
The alarm will work fine for weeks at a time only to act up occasionally for an hour, day, week. :confused:
The motor runs perfectly with no overheating and good mix so I am thinking it's either an intermittant short in the harness or an issue with the alarm module. I'm tempted to just disconnect the alarm and not worry about it. :rolleyes:
Any ideas? ? ?
Thanks for your input. ;)

dclange

Cadet
Re: 91 Merc intermittant alarm

Something I had one time was the oil tank on the motor was not full. If it is even a half inch low the alarm will sometimes sound at weird times. Mine would do it when I was trying to get up on plane. I guess when I would trim the motor in/down to take off and then hit it, the low oil would let that little float in the tank short and the alarm would start beeping. Filled the oil tank all the way up, that fixed mine. No more beeping. Just a thought..........

DRIFTER_016

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 91 Merc intermittant alarm

The oil level switch is disconnected as it died back in the late 90's so it's not the oil level switch.
Thanks anyway. :)