90hp idling at 2000 rpms PLEASE HELP!

redman09

Cadet
Hello to everyone again, Im still having problems with this motor, the problem is that no matter what I do it will idle at 2000 rpms, it was at first thought to be an electrical problem do to it wouldnt start acting up until the motor got to operating temp but now it is 2000 rpms as soon as it starts and stays that way my mechanic says it is a vacuum leak from the intake manifold but Im not so sure Im still thinking electrical someone please help! The motor is a 1998 90hp johnson ocean runner model number is J90SLECM, I forgot to mention hat the power pack and stator have both been replaced and no change in the idle please help

phillnjack2

Ensign
Re: 90hp idling at 2000 rpms PLEASE HELP!

sounds like your mechanic needs to sell his spanners and get a new set of six guns and a ten gallon hat
on his way out of town.

i just love it when people say " my mechanic says" who told them this guy IS a mechanic ?

and is this guy the same one who travels all over the globe giving duff advice ?

phill

nwcove

Admiral

i would tend to side with the mechanic, and the motor is sucking air from "somewhere" that it shouldnt. and i would make sure it wasnt before i ran it, if it is running lean, you will have a meltdown.

edit: my comments are based on the fact that the carb linkages and cable is allowing the butterflys to close to idle position, and timing is set properly.

Last edited:

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Have you checked the timing when it idles up? This would verify electrical vs air leak.....

redman09

Cadet

He is a well credited mech but this is the first time I have personally delt with him, as far as the timing goes it has the OIS 2000 ignition so I dont think there is any way to adjust the timing, the carb linkages and cable are correct thats the first thing he checked, I bought all the gaskets today and they will be put on tomorrow morning, the reason Im unsure of the problem being from a air leak is the problem origanally only happen after the motor got warm and it would run great up until then and that makes me believe something is getting hot and breaking down and his explaination for this is that things expand with heat and I agree with that but still unsure but we'll see I guess and for PhillinJack2 you should be so quick to be a smart *** to people this a site to help people out not post stupid comments assuming everyone is full of crap! Thanks for the legit responses!

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

as far as the timing goes it has the OIS 2000 ignition so I dont think there is any way to adjust the timing, the carb linkages and cable are correct thats the first thing he checked,

Of course there is a way to adjust timing on OIS 2000. Its unique compared to other systems. I would check timing at idle first. If "quick start" is adding its "extra timing" when it shouldn't, it could maintain a high idle......

Last edited:

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I forgot to mention hat the power pack and stator have both been replaced and no change in the idle please help

The timer base is also an internal part of "quick start"

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You can check for a vacume leak, kind of messy. Run the engine on the hose and use a can of fogging oil and spray all around the suspect area and listen fo a slight change in the engine RPM.