90HP Idle too High

I hate that this has to be my first post but I am in a jam.

I have a 92 Evinrude 90HP that had a 2 leaking bowl gaskets on the carbs but was running fine other than an cutting off issue at idle. I removed and cleaned the carbs, replaced gaskets, seal and needle and seat. With out changing any adjustments I reinstalled the carbs and now the boat sounds loaded when first cranked then is idles between 1,000 and 1,500. I have attemted to make a few adjustments and even removed the thottle cable thinking that is was binding. I can get it down to 1,000 but that is by adjusting the timing advance and it starts running rough. I do not have a manual and cannot get my hands on one for a few weeks (money issues). I'm trying to sell the boat (again money issues) and the fuel leak had been a point of contention. Amy help will be greatly appreciated.

****edit model number is TE90TLEND****

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: 90HP Idle too High

You need to do a link & sync. Go to your local library and copy that section for your motor from their manual. Be sure to do it in the steps given.

I went to the local library and they do not have any outboard engine manuals. Oddly they don't have automotive manuals either.

My question is this. Seloc offers manuals online. Is this service any good? I really need to get this fixed as I have 4 people coming tomorrow afternoon to look at the boat.

Thanks for your help!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Pop the linkage out that's between the carbs. Does it idle down now?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The motor will not run properly with any leaks in the fuel system. If fuel leaks out, air leaks in, the engine runs lean and eventually self-destructs.

If you have the carburetors with plastic bowls, do whatever is necessary to stop them from leaking, even if you have to buy aluminum bowls.

The motor will not run properly with any leaks in the fuel system. If fuel leaks out, air leaks in, the engine runs lean and eventually self-destructs.

If you have the carburetors with plastic bowls, do whatever is necessary to stop them from leaking, even if you have to buy aluminum bowls.

The leaks have been fixed.

Also as a side note the carbs looked like they had just been rebuilt and were clean (no sediment). The cause of the leak was loose screws on the lower carb bowl possibly from last year's rebuilt (according to the guy I bought it from)

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Just to clarify - don't go by looks. Did you pop the link out and start it?

If so and it's still way too high, look at the roller. Make sure it's not touching the follower. At idle it shouldn't be touching anything.

Yes I actually removed it while the engine was running (on the water hose by the way). I also, while disconnected, worked each throttle separately to make sure they were not binding and were traveling freely.

***edit - to add***

There was what appeared to be old gasket "gunk" on the manifold and carbs. I'm worndering if this could have created a vacuum "issue" that resulted in someone over compensating for.

Randybeall

Petty Officer 1st Class

When you reinstalled the carbs is there any chance there was any old gasket material left on the manifold. A tiny air leak at that point can raise the idle and be hard to detect. Taking off the carbs and cleaning both the manifold and carb bases might be all you need.

The was gasket material before I removed the carbs. I cleaned it off of the manifold and some from both carbs. It is clean now.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

OK, with the link rod removed, remove the throttle cable completely. Pull the arm back until the screw in the arm is on the stop. The screw should be about 1/2 way in / out. The roller on the top carb should not be touching the throttle cam. If it is, loosen the screw holding it so it falls away.

If it still idles too high then adjust the idle with the thumbwheel on the rod going to the timer base.

Remember, the idle out of the water will be slightly higher than when in the water (backpressure in the exhaust).

I took it down an backed it in the river. The boat tram there was so shallow I had 10 feet of water in front of the truck...LOL.

Anyway I followed your procedure and it runs perfectly. 1,000 RPM on a hose with this motor is about 850 RPM. I got it adjusted so that it idles in gear at about 650-700 RPM. Any lower and it would shut off when throttling back.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Glad it worked. Good luck with the sale.