90 hp Johnson service valve kit

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer
I am working on a friends 1986 Johnson 90 HP outboard. Not that fluent in the Johnson inboards but did get the engine running fine with simple tune up parts.

The issue I have is with the Service Valve kit. The face plate is cracked and leaks when the red handle is moved to the left.

My question is.... What function does this part serve??? The engine is working fine but will stall when the red handle is moved.

Thanks for the help.

http://www.iboats.com/Johnson_Servi...8243993--**********.635851983--view_id.507811

18-7044_0.jpg

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: 90 hp Johnson service valve kit

It's to manually prime the motor if the motor needs to be started manually with a rope. It will stall with the red handle moved, it's getting too much gas.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 90 hp Johnson service valve kit

Primer Solenoid
the primer replaced the old choke butterflies in the carborators, pushing in the key activates it, like the old choke plates, but injects fuel directly into the intake.
The red handle is used when your battery is dead, and you have to rope start. You move the handle 180 degrees.
Normal operating position is with the handle back over the body of the solenoid, like in the picture below.

Attachments

• primer solenoid.jpg
    primer solenoid.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 0