'90 Evinrude 100 XP ignition switch and warning horn question

Phishnvdub

Seaman Apprentice
My warning buzzer does not beep when the ignition is turned on so I am trying to test it to see if it's shot. The horn has one small black wire coming off it and two spade connectors. One has two purple wires and the other has a brown connected to it. I took the horn out, grounded the black wire and touched 12v power to either spade connector and got nothing. Am I testing this correctly? Should I be touching 12v to one side and grounding the other?

My question about the ignition switch is when I turn the key to start motor it activates the choke and pushing in on it cranks the starter. Is this backwards?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: '90 Evinrude 100 XP ignition switch and warning horn question

Your wiring on the keyswitch is incorrect. The yellow-red wire and the purple with the white stripe are reversed.

The self-test horn is faulty if you did not get a beep with the black wire grounded and 12V on the + spade terminal

Phishnvdub

Seaman Apprentice
Re: '90 Evinrude 100 XP ignition switch and warning horn question

Thanks for the reply Seahorse, I appreciate it. I wanted to be sure about the horn before I dropped about $70 on a new one. I did notice the new ones come with an extra longer black wire with the same ground connector as the attached short one and at one end and what looks like a bullet connector at the other. I am guessing that's for a different control box as I don't see that wire in mine.

I will switch those ignition wires around tomorrow after work. Haha, I hope someday I can answer questions like that off the top of my head.