9.9 kicker

jmoorepghpa

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2001 Evinrude 9.9 I want to install as a kicker on the boat in the picture. We are on the river here so I defanantly wand the kicker as a back up motor and serveral of the lakes around are hp limited. I'm liking the spring loaded motor mounts they make that allow you to raise and lower the kicker. My questions are these--

1. should the kicker be on the side opposite the helm to balance the weight of the driver--- I have always had them mounted on the port side.

The 9.9 is electric start and has control cables not a tiller--
- should I install the throttle controls up to the helm, lock the 9.9 in the forward position and use the lower unit as a rudder, try some kind of steering-link-bar set up or just get some sort of tiller extension device.

3. If I run control cables I'm wondering about where to come throught the hull and if I really want to do that.

Attachments

• P1011665.JPG
    P1011665.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 9.9 kicker

i think in your case, can you justify all the relocation of hardware to mount on the port side, ladder rails step platform. starboard just the platform. there are steer links made, that connect to the outdrive. just how they would work in your situation, i don't know. cables just under the rub rail and seal the best you can.

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: 9.9 kicker

I have a 15 hp kicker on a 21 foot boat a lot like yours. I did put the kicker on the port side but wish I had put on the starboard side. I like you thought it would be a good idea to balance out the driver weight but to be honest I rarely boat alone. At this point I wish it was on the starboard side. Only reason is we almost always dock on the port side and comeing in to the dock or leaving would be better to have motor on the starboard side.

My motor is mounted on 2 Garlick motor mounts for 20 hp motor. I changed the brackets and tied them together to give it twice the lift. Bracket has 15 inches of lift. Motor I converted to a 20 inch shaft as in big swells offshore prop would sometimes come out of the water and motor would rev up. Motor sometimes also goes completely under in big swells.

Steering I got a EZ-Steer so can steer with the main motor. At first I just locked the 15 hp straight and use the big motor as a rudder. That works good in open water when the winds are light, but in tight spaces or windy days just does not turn fast enough. Turning into the wind was imposible at trolling speeds.

I still useing the tiller for throttle and shifting. Main reason is when in inland lakes I take the EZ-Steer off, tilt the main motor up and back into beaches. When I get to the beach kill motor and step off with out getting wet. Hook a stern line to shore and use bow anchor line as a spring line to stay deep enough to the keep from hitting bottom or shore when other boat go by. Then when cold and want to get out with out getting wet just pull the boat to shore with the stern line.