9.8 Tohatsu for my '71 Gamefisher (Fibreglass)

rhunter73

Cadet
Hi,
I have a 12 foot 'glass gamefisher that is in pretty much new condition considering the age. I am the second owner, my dad was the first. I have a 7HP Ted Williams 2 stroke on it now, but it is getting along in age and I need to replace it as I don't consider it long term useable. Being in CA most of the lakes require a 4 stroke, my boat can take 575 lbs of gear total and a "max" 14 HP (remember 1971) engine. I've been looking at the Tohatsu 9.8 short shaft at about 81.5 lbs. My current engine weights about 40 lbs.
I can't imagine any issues, except weight distribution. If my old gamefisher cracks in half tonight I guess I can haul the new motor over to a newer POS 12 foot boat.
Am I not taking something into consideration? I usually boat in the inner bay of San Francisco (Brannon Island/Rio Vista) and the lakes around 395 (max speed 10 MPH)

Thanks for your input.

Roger

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: 9.8 Tohatsu for my '71 Gamefisher (Fibreglass)

Welcome to the forums,

If 9.8 being 81.5 Lbs is an issue and wanting to match actual horse same 40 Lbs, will need to detune to a lower 3.5 HP engine which weights same. That's the issue comparing a 2 stroke weight against a modern 4 stroke. Definitely that boat will handle well a 9.8, a very nice one of a kind engine. If still with weight limitations, check Tohatsu 6 HP at 58 Lbs.

Happy Boating

Whoopbass

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You won't have any issues. A 1971 2-stroke 10-15hp motor weighs close to what that Tohatsu weighs.

rhunter73

Cadet

You won't have any issues. A 1971 2-stroke 10-15hp motor weighs close to what that Tohatsu weighs.

Thanks! That is what I thought as most of the 10HP were 2 cyl and a bit heavier. I tried to google 2 cycle 14 HP weight, but I didn't get much information. I don't need the power so much on the lakes as I do on the inner bay with the currents and tides. The kids like to sit on the bow so they can be my ballast to even out the distribution.

Now I just need to save my money and get that outboard.

Thanks for all the replies.

Roger

rhunter73

Cadet

I just wanted to wrap up this tread. I tested the 9.8 on my old 12 foot Gamefisher today . It worked great! I think the boat was on plane for the first time in 40 years; with 2 kids, myself and and all the fishing stuff too.
I was worried that bow would pop up or the trim would be impossible, thankfully everything worked great.

All in all I am very happy, thanks for all your input!

Roger