9-1-1: Need some help w/VP Sterndrive

o-jay

Cadet
Hello. I need some pretty quick advice, and I know the people that know are on here.
Buddy of mine's Stingray is sick -real sick. I don't know the year, but it's only a few yr-old 190 with VP 4.3 (Chev.) with an SX drive. It's making a pretty bad noise, both in fwd and rev. He calls it grinding, and I guess that's close, but it changes as he rotates the steering wheel and runs the trim up/down. There's a quiet spot in both axes, and it's worse on both sides of the quiet spot. To me, that sounds like u-joints, possibly gimbal bearing (caused by u-joints?).
The problem is, I basically have this next weekend to work on it before it's lake time again, and I'd rather not have to tear down - buy parts - then re-assemble. I'm looking for somebody's best source for parts, hopefully an entire kit, to replace u-joints and/or bearings, depending on what's bad when I get in there.
Anybody got other suggestions?
Thanks - Jay

o-jay

Cadet
Re: 9-1-1: Need some help w/VP Sterndrive

Seriously? 0 replies?

Okay, I got some more specific info. The boat's a 2003 Stingray, the Engine code is 4.3 GXI -D, the outdrive is an SX-M, 1.79 gear ratio. I can't seem to find a parts supplier for the p/n's, etc that I found from Volvo's website. Really, if anybody can just point me in the right direction...

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: 9-1-1: Need some help w/VP Sterndrive

really you need to tear it apart first. Why order parts you don't know you need, and why get stuck short handed by not ordering parts you didn't know that you needed.
Tear it down, go from there, that's how its done.