8hp rough idle / bogs under load

durbinhaas

Recruit
Hello all. This would be my first post here however I have been a frequent viewer.

To the point..

I have a 1988 8hp s/n: 0B268660.

I got the motor this year and it ran great, barely had to pull it to get it started.. Idled great and ran what seemed to be flawless. The motor had sat in a barn for a couple of years without being ran or winterized. I hadn't even put a thought into it when water dumped out of the gear lube fill hole. I began noticing milky colored oil leaking out near the prop which had been corrected by a local marine shop. Turned out to be the prop shaft seal.

Anyways I got it back and took it for a spin at one of the local lakes. It began running choppy and I started having to start the motor then quickly throwing it into forward full throttle to keep it started.

As of today, I cleaned out the carb very thurough(found a sticking needle and a slimy float), found a cracked fuel line (replaced it), spark plugs looked fine but still replaced them for good measure. Ran it in a bucket and it is doing the same thing, won't idle at low rpm and seems like a serious pain to get started.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

floatmiboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 8hp rough idle / bogs under load

I'm no mechanic but, did you try adjusting the carburetor ? it could be running too lean.

durbinhaas

Recruit
Re: 8hp rough idle / bogs under load

Will be giving that a try tomorrow, thanks for the input!