8HP 2 stroke no start - Low compression

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Takes more than soaking and putting back together. You need to go through every item and completely stripped apart. Particularly the float needle valve and assembly. Each one of the jets too. Doesn’t take much with these wee carbs.
Did you re set the mixture to about 1 1/4- 1 1/2 turns out ? Making sure there was nothing stopping it seating well when screwed in…to give a false indication of where things are ?
Yep, I actually had to drill out the cap that was covering the screw, as the adjustment was still factory sealed. Put the new needle in that came with the carb kit. And yep, adjusted. It was running like a champ for the past 3 months.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Put 6 and 1/2 drops of fuel into each sparkplug hole.---Install plugs.----Pull cord 10 times and report what motor does.

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Put 6 and 1/2 drops of fuel into each sparkplug hole.---Install plugs.----Pull cord 10 times and report what motor does.
Tried that before as well....not sure it was 6 and half drops, but it didn't do anything.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It should bark and roar like a raging lion.-----So based on 50+ years of experience I say that spark is weak or non existent.----Or at the wrong time.----Easy to figure out in my opinion.

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
It should bark and roar like a raging lion.-----So based on 50+ years of experience I say that spark is weak or non existent.----Or at the wrong time.----Easy to figure out in my opinion.
That's what I thought lol. I'm going to grab a tester like suggested above and see what I get. What would cause it to be out of time? Would that be the drift pin? I replaced the coil last year

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Buddy of mine is saying might be a head gasket. Should I pop one on while I have the carb off to clean? I've done heads on cars, but never small engine. Figured since already half apart might as well do....thoughts?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
See post #3----But remember you posted that you have 80 PSI compression.----Motor should bark and roar with 80 PSI in cylinders !!

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Just proof that motors need a new impeller every 5 years or so.-----But check the flywheel key.----A sheared key puts timing way out.----Not a big deal to take the head off for inspection.----The head will be warped and needs refinishing.-----Glass and emery paper does that repair.
you sir...are a genius. key is sheared. On the hunt for one now.

Last edited: