89 Tracker splash well removed!! :)

River_Lizard

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: New Restoration Project

You weren't kidding they were rough on that boat. Did they hit something or tried pulling something with the boat? I'd be concerned as to why all the splits in the structure.

jjkc

Seaman Apprentice

Well I am going to give it my all to get it back in the water. I don't want to believe this, but they hooked a tube to the motor. All I can do is sit here and shake my head. There grandfather took fantastic care of this boat. I have all the receipts from when he was alive all the service, and the original sales receipt. It is a real shame they didn't take care of it.

jjkc

Seaman Apprentice

Well after doing some tireless searching on the web I believe I have found my answer on how to get the transom replaced. I am going to have to cut the splash well out, and then have it welded back into place when I finish :mad:. Not happy about it, but nothing I can do to prevent it that I can see.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Sadly that's how some of these boats are built. On a Starcraft it's as easy as popping off the end caps and trim, removing some through-bolts and popping the wood out. Some of these other manufacturers seemed to think the wood would never rot?!

jjkc

Seaman Apprentice

Really only seems like two welds I need to cut. Here is a picture I found of someone else that completed a transom replacement. Made me a little more comfortable. There is a welding shop right next door to where I have her stored so I guess I can be happy for that anyway.

Howtoremovethesplashwell.jpg

jjkc

Seaman Apprentice

All right I need some help I am trying to get that back deck of my tracker apart. It appears to be held in place by many different rivets. Does anyone have any advice for me. I drilled out some rivets today, but I stopped because I am just not real sure what piece of the puzzle should come off first. Thanks in advance for your help.

wlg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm finally seeing what you got and have to say what a deal. That will be one nice boat when you get it done.

I don't know how your boat is put together, but I would suggest drilling the top of the rivet off and prying the wood off the remaining shaft of the rivet. You can remove the rest of the rivet after the deck is off.

jjkc

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks wlg I will figure that back deck out it is all aluminum top side but then some of the aluminum has wood on the underside. It is in like 6 0r 7 different pieces. I will be sure to take plenty of pictures and post them.

bbarrick

Recruit
Re: How to I remove the puzzle that is the back deck of my tracker?

Re: How to I remove the puzzle that is the back deck of my tracker?

i have an 89 tracker that im about to do the exact same thing to. new decks,new floor, new carpet, possibly new transom. any pics you take or lessons learned would be greatly appreciated. keep us posted.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

All right I need some help I am trying to get that back deck of my tracker apart. It appears to be held in place by many different rivets. Does anyone have any advice for me. I drilled out some rivets today, but I stopped because I am just not real sure what piece of the puzzle should come off first. Thanks in advance for your help.

You need to post some pics of what you have and where you're at with it.

jjkc

Seaman Apprentice

All right here are some pictures of the back deck like I said before any help will be appreciated. Jigngrub here are the best pictures I have right now. I will be working on it quite a bit in the next couple weeks so this thread will become a little more active. Again thanks for the help!!

100_0652.jpg

100_0653.jpg

100_0664.jpg

100_0657-1.jpg

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I'd start by removing all the hatch covers, then the narrow piece with the pedestal seat hole between the livewell and engine hatch. Then I'd go for the vertical piece in front of the livewell. This should give you some insight to what you have inside and maybe some more clues on how to take it apart.

It's kind of like one of those chinese wooden cube puzzles, once you get a couple of pieces out it gets easier.

On cutting your welds, I'd go slow and careful with and angle grinder and just try to remove the existing weld instead of cutting straight through and removing a lot of metal.

jjkc

Seaman Apprentice

I have a high speed cutting wheel I am going to use to cut the welds it does a much nicer job than a grinder and removes a lot less material. Thanks jigngrub you have been a big help already, and I'm just getting started. I will take it nice and slow while I am cutting the welds too. I should have some more pictures to post tonight. I like the wooden cube puzzles lol.

jjkc

Seaman Apprentice
Splash well removed!

Splash well removed!

I managed to get the splash well out today. Boy I am glad I decided to do it the transom wood that I can see now is no good. I will be trying to get the transom wood out tomorrow. started to clean the bilge up too.

100_0692.jpg

100_0693.jpg

100_0694.jpg

100_0695.jpg

100_0696.jpg

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Splash well removed!

You're doing some good work there JJ!

The first thing I noticed in the first pic was the transom wood and I was like YIKES That's Gnarly!

She'll be like new when you're finished and it'll be a job and boat you can be proud of. Keep up the good work!

jjkc

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Jig yeah I wouldn't hang a tissue box from that wood its horrible, and will be coming out tomorrow so we can all get a proper look at how bad it really is.