89 Starcraft Mariner 210 CC Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

North Beach

Commander
Re: 89 Starcraft Mariner 210 CC Rebuild

Yeah you guys hit the nail on the head:D

Kinda weird-I have a really nice boat (IMHO) and we just got the pair of jet skis so I don't really know how much I'll be able to even use this boat, but I really enjoy all the plottin & schemin involved with tearing one apart and re-building it. On the last one we did the old skool approach and on this one we're gonna go more functional with fish chasin in mind.

Guess I just got the sickness. Next thing you know I'll be sellin the house and property and movin into a mobile home on the bay :D (with a boat slip of course):D

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Guess I just got the sickness. Next thing you know I'll be sellin the house and property and movin into a mobile home on the bay :D (with a boat slip of course):D

Can see it now...'Houseboat coming soon in a thread from NB'

North Beach

Commander

Gee, hadn't thought about the houseboat! Does Starcraft make one of those.......

So we got another nice day here weatherwise. I spent most of the morning around town gathering more supplies. My brother came over around noon and started some misc welding on the new tractor and a couple of my trailers. In between helping him I drug out the old engine hoist and made some more adjustments to the ratty trailer. I also replaced the winch cable that was rusted thru from salt water.

Mariner29.jpg

I also managed to dig out a little of the foam and finished removing the plywood decking. Man, that stuff was stuck to the foam like you wouldn?t believe. On one full sheet near the stern, it took both of us to pry it up!!!!! Here?s a couple shots with the plywood out.

Mariner30.jpg

Mariner31.jpg

The plywood was so waterlogged it took the two of us to carry one of the full size pieces. We also found trapped pockets of water in the foam and I swear, it looks as if the foam itself has caused some corrosion of the aluminum. Everywhere you look there?s a build up of white residue and on one of the head joint straps we even found some holes eaten thru. There?s also an issue with corrosion on the stringers. I?ll probably make some new ones rather than re-install these. All in all I believe the poured in foam does it?s own damage to the aluminum in these boats and I?m glad we?re getting it out.

Mariner32.jpg

Mariner33.jpg

Tomorrow I?m gonna remove the splashwell assembly and get ready to pull the transom wood. After what I?ve seen today, I?m not hangin that 150 Suzuki on this boat until I?ve replaced every piece of wood I can find!

Huron Angler

Admiral

You've got a pretty convincing argument against poured-in foam going on there NB. I've been convinced on the pink/blue stuff or swim noodles for a while now since they allow the water to pass right thru.

Once you get her all tore up she'll appreciate the clean bilge:)

Are ya bringing the jetskis or the big CC to tinstock?:D
(the Liquid Limo is of course also going to be there:cool:)

North Beach

Commander

Liquid Limo and the jets for the admiral:D

I don't think this one will be done in time and I'm already planning for the May pilgrimage to British Columbia.

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

good plan NB
my transom was shot as well as most all the wood, i managed to save most for a template.
the foam removal seemed to be a royal pita, then i went to the bow and found a pc that i could get a long handle shovel under and pop a big pc out and worked my way back... went fast

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

As long as it stays semi nice out, a little extra uhmmff I won't mind{too much lol}...I used the old faithful 'wonder bar' and most of the imperials foam popped with little effort...wish I would of seen the shovel tip beforehand...oh well, least I know my hindsight is 20/20.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Foam, oh wonderful, glorious, radiant foam. How I love thee!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yeah that foam looks like a nightmare.

North Beach

Commander

Seems like every one we see with the poured in looks like this! Plus, it's very evident this boat was fairly well abused by the PO in saltwater country.

bananaboater

Ensign

That is one ugly looking job to tackle. When you finish the feeling of well done will be the pay off. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Albert

North Beach

Commander

OK another T shirt day here so I?m determined to finish the demo portion of this resto. The first thing on the list is to remove all the cursed poured in place foam. Probably the worst part of the entire project. Someone mentioned using a long handled shovel so I thought I?d give that a try. Heres a quick video of me bouncing around in the boat getting it done.

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/HillbillyBowyer/89%20Mariner/?action=view&current=HPIM2060.flv

I should add here that much time was spent on kneecaps banging and prying with the small flat nail puller and a hammer. That foam gets in all the nooks and crannies and it doesn?t want to let go! I also found more deteriorated aluminum-mostly in the stringers and cross members so we?ll be making new ones when we put her back together.

So I finally got all the foam out except what?s directly under the splashwell. The wood and foam in this area was totally water damaged to the point of just falling apart. Here?s a couple shots of that mess.

Mariner35.jpg

Mariner34.jpg

Mariner36.jpg

Next I took the inner gunwale trim aluminum off and removed all the carpet from the sides The trim is just fastened along the top with rivits. We needed to remove this and the outer rub rail in order to remove the vinyl from the tops of the gunwales and the bow area.

The last thing accomplished today was removal of all the fasteners in the underside of the splashwell. I got most of that accomplished and finally shop vacced out the boat in preparation of Tuesday?s forecasted rain. If I have time tomorrow evening, I?ll get the transom bolts out and see if we can lift off the splashwell. Then we?ll be able to remove the last little bit of foam.

Here?s a shot of it all cleaned out.

Mariner37.jpg

And here?s a shot of the pile of debris we removed from under the wood deck.

Mariner38.jpg

All in all, it?s starting to move along pretty well. It still looks as if the transom is dry. I?ll know more once I get to it tomorrow. I did find one missing rivet right smack in the keel of the boat. Pretty weird looking at the bottom of the boat and seeing daylight! As I said earlier, we?ll need to fab some new stringers and cross members, but the ole tub still looks fairly sound.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

NB, you have to be totally wiped out buddy, that is straight up labor getting all of that foam out!!! Nice work man!

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

Looking Good NB. and sleep well..

jspano

sorry that shovel thing didn't work for you. i had a trench shovel for digging for irrigation and was lucky to find a pc that just ended and i was able to pop out pcs the size of bed pillows. i popped them and my son Chance threw them into my p/u 30 mins we were done. except the little stuborn pcs

mine was pretty bad too!!

oldfoam1.jpg
[/IMG]

North Beach

Commander

Actually Joe the sides went pretty good. But the center section and the area under the bow were straight up nasty to remove. It's all good though since it's done now.

I can't beleive how rotted out everything was in the bow and under the stern.

And sice E found this boat for me, he shoulda been here helpin:D

jspano

NB
you want to see rotten look at my thread, that dang foam keep salt water
on the hull and then some electrolysis. man it was bad
i pressure washed
sprayed white vinager
baking soda
and then used some liq. iron stain remover, mild acid, like sharks skin
but cheaper
alot of wire wheeling(my son chance)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

And sice E found this boat for me, he shoulda been here helpin:D

I can't, I gotta build Tim Five's Islander once mine is done :p

Nice work. That video is great.

North Beach

Commander

HaHa! E looks like you been a little busy yourself. Has anyone noticed the inside of these CC's and your boat are pretty much exactly the same? Same bow shelf for either the casting platform or the bow rider setup.

And the bow to stern stringers on the cc have flanges that are rivited thru the hull. That's a little different from my 66 model.

jspano

mine are into the ribs?

Status
Not open for further replies.