89 Johnson 110 fuel flow problem???

torijake

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Will try to keep this breif as possible.I bought an 89 skeeter bass boat with Johnson 110 vro late last fall that didn't run worth a crap.It would start and idle on muffs but when i put it in the water the 1st time started fine fine and idled fine but when i tried to throttle it up it would get about 1/4 throttle and die.Hit key choke and it would pick up,i know you all have heard this scenario many times.Had carbs rebuilt(2)with kits replaced old fuel and oil(ps:boat had sat in storage for 2 years )then took it out 1 time and everything ran great took off like nobodys business.Winterized and garaged it for winter.Took it out the other day after a good start and run on muffs at home.Put it in the water and seemed fine,but after awhile it started doing the same thing.Primer bulb seemed flat and motor not getting enough fuel at times.Could it be primer bulb and fuel line or fuel pump or ????

Thanks for any feedback and help...........John..............

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 89 Johnson 110 fuel flow problem???

When you say that the primer bulb is flat, do you mean its collapsed?
If its collapsed it could be the valve in the primer it's self or possibly the air vent on the tank is blocked or not open.

torijake

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes it seems to collapse it does not stay firm(primer bulb)!!!

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer

Try running with the fuel cap loose. Its possible that you have an air lock inside the tank. If the primer bulb collapsed, it sounds like the pump was working. Could also be the primer but try the above first.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Check the anti-siphon valve if you are running on a built-in tank. Also if a built-in, inspect the tank vent on the outside of the hull.

88HP

Cadet

I have suspected a fuel restriciton on my motor for sometime, but have not figured out a good way to make sure the suction line in the built in tank is not partially plugged. The bulb will pump gas, but apparently there is something in the tank that prevents back fluhing the fuel system back into the tank? Is that the anti-siphon valve?

How do you check the anti-siphon valve? Thanks.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The anti siphon valve is usually just a ball bearing and spring in the outgoing hose connection at the top of the tank. It is there to prevent fuel from being siphoned out of the tank in case of a fuel line leak. The anti-siphon valve is tested by the length of a column of water that the valve will hold before opening.

If they become clogged or dirty, they can slow the flow of fuel. They do not generally impede the flow of fuel back into the tank, but most primer bulbs will.