89 force 50 hp hard to start after exhaust gasket change and carb gaskets

Eddie Rivera

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 89 force 50 hp hard to start after exhaust gasket change and carb gaskets

if it will run but not as well as it can, why dont i just change the head in that case and keep my old one to slowly rebuild it or for parts?
im on my way now to pick up my carb needle

Eddie Rivera

Petty Officer 2nd Class

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

It's up to you if you want to swap out the power head.
From the videos' that motor sounds OK, but the real test is out on the water. It seems to start up just fine. Are the spark plug wires on the right plugs?

Eddie Rivera

Petty Officer 2nd Class

did you see how quickly it started? i told you i didn't have any problems with the motor starting until i adjusted the float.
I for a second got confused with the placement of the spark plug wires, and i think i got it right this is what i did--- coil number 1(which is the coil in the forward side) is on the top cylinder and coil number 2(which is the coil in the aft side) is on the bottom cylinder. i got the needle and it looks a bit different and its 2 instead of one but the guy said its the right one and it comes with 2.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Well it's really hard to tell from the diagrams, but I think your spark plug wires might be reversed. Easy to test though. Before you do anything with the carb, try reversing the plug wires and see what happens.

The needle valves should to be the same length and the groove for the wire should be the same distance from the rubber tip.

Last edited:

Eddie Rivera

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok i installed the new needle and adjusted the float the best i could and did the starting procedure you mentioned, the bulb did get hard, no fuel leaks any where, fuel did come out when i did the choke and my motor still did not turn on i switched the spark plug wires just in case and still nothing and i verified the position of the wires by looking at my pictures :-(
what do you suggest i do now? i want to check the fuel pump all i ever did was changed the rubber gasket on the sediment bowl and i just saw that the whole time its been backwards - that is the metal screen is first on the sediment bowl and then the rubber gasket.
I will include pictures. Snew needle and float upside down 32814.jpgnew needle and float hanging down 32814.jpgnew needle and float almost touching 32814.jpgo what advice do you have now, i'm so disappointed.

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer

Eddie I don't think I would even run it with that water coming out like that. How can it be circulating around the head if it isn't coming from the exhaust?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Try taking out both plugs and putting in a tablespoon or so of 2-stoke fuel in the hole. Install the spark plugs and try starting. If it still won't start or doesn't pop or backfire, then the problem is most likely not the carburetor. I would suspect that you may have inadvertently done something to the spark. Make sure that the Kill switch is not engaged.

Eddie Rivera

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will try putting some fuel in the spark plug hole and tell you what it did.
When I checked for compression I did not know I had to ground the system by engaging the kill switch or by connecting the spark plugs to a good ground. A dealer told me I can damage the starting system if I don't.

I have a question - The fuel pump is pumping fuel should I still take it apart and inspect it completely???

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

I think you should do one thing at a time. Yes, maybe after you get the motor to fire, the next step would be to look at the fuel pump. First try to get the motor running.