89 200hp 2.5 dead cylinders not getting fuel?

dwittig33

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, i have a 89 Evinrude 200hp (on my Stratos bass boat). I'm having starting problems, can only get it started cold by using the manual start solenoid (red lever) under the fuel pump. It is my understanding that i should only need to use that thing if i need to manual start the flywheel with a pull rope. Not a big deal, because it does get it started, but I would rather not have to remove the cowling every time I launch. Don't know if that is part of my issue or not, but last time i was out, I had very little power. Had a real hard time getting up on plane, once I was on plane at WOT I was getting up to about 35. When this thing is running right I can run in the 60's. A buddy of mine told me to check the reed valves. I did and could see light through the majority of them. I flipped them over and tested again. This time I got up on plane much better but only topped out at 40 mph. So I put my water muffs on it and tested in the back yard. Started pulling plug wires and cylinder 1, 5 and 6 (not sure on correct cylinder order but this is from Top going left to right then move my way down) made no change to the motors sound or rpms.

Ok, so why are those cylinders "dead"? I have spark (tested with a timing light and by arcing plug to block). I have fuel going through the carb (can see it spray in while revving and also if i hold my hand over carb vacuum sucks lots of fuel). I have since installed new reeds, but somehow the fuel is not getting into the cylinder. The plugs are clean compared to the working cylinders (and also brand new champions). I have 115 compression on all cylinders... if I remove plug and start engine, hot dry air shoots out, instead of the air/fuel mixture on the working cylinders. Any ideas?

dwittig33

Seaman Apprentice
Oh, also i mentioned 2.5 dead cylinders. one of them #6 backfires a little and when disconnected the motor runs smoother. Guess it could be running a little lean or something. I've gone through the carbs with compressed air is all. Haven't messed with the rich lean settings.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Check the shift interrupt switch.-----It is located on the engine block.----Stops spark to 3 cylinders during shifting.