888 sterndrive NO GO

mlryan

Seaman
I have a mercruiser mariner sterndrive 888. the motor i think is a ford V8 302. Had problem with foamy oil and through posting at i boats fixed the problem, but now i am faced with a new one. Took the boat out, started fine, engaged fine got it up to about 25mph and stopped. Did a little fishin and started it back up, started fine, engaged the motor it engaged went about 200 yards and all of the sudden no power to the lower unit, the engine was winding, but we were going nowhere. Any suggestions as to what the problem might be, perhaps a U-joint. If this is a common problem, how easy is it to fix, i would appreciate any words of wisdom from the master mechanics out there. :confused:

jmccall001

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 888 sterndrive NO GO

see if you have a spun prop. was there any noise from the drive?

Bondo

Staff member

I'd think you have 1 of 3 Problems,.......<br /><br />As John said,.... The Prop Hub might have Spun in it's Bushing,.......<br />Simple Fix,.... Change the Prop.........<br /><br />2,.... A Spun Coupler,..... It's kind of like a Big rubber bushing mounted to the backside of the Flywheel,....... They get Trashed by Bad Outdrive Alignment,.......<br /><br />3,..... A Trashed Outdrive,...... Stripped Gears,.. Bearings,.. Etc....<br /><br />If it's 2, or 3,.... the motor will Over-heat,.. as the Impeller Won't be turning.......

jmccall001

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bondo,<br />Your comments on 2,3 give me hope that my coupler and outdrive are ok. Trying to get enough nerve to pull the prop

Bondo

Staff member

Scribe a line accross the Prop, from the Blades, to the Nut,+ Run it,......<br /><br />If it's the Prop,...... The Lines will Move........... ;)

f_inscreenname

Commander

I will take door number 2 Bondo. I am hoping for you evinrude trouble it is number 1.

mlryan

Seaman

if its a spun prop, what should i look for? the motor doesnt overheat as far as i know, looked in the lower unit gear oil and no metal flakes (thank god) how do you know if your outdrive is misaligned and is aligning the outdrive somthing i can do or do i have to take it somewhere to get it done.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Put the drive in gear (with the motor off) and see if you can spin the prop by hand. If it spins easy then you have a bad drive. With the boat in the water, the motor running and in gear look at the back of the motor and see if the drive shaft is spinning. If so its the drive or the prop. If it is not spinning then you have a bad coupler. At this point alignment is not a issue (but should be done before new parts are installed unless its the prop) you can align it all you want now but nothing will change. Alignment could be the reason it happened if it is the coupler.