88 spl leaking gas

73 Dolphin

Petty Officer 1st Class
My carbs are currently off. Just rebuilt them but didn't see anything obviously wrong.
Took the boat out for the first time in since I got it. Sat for probably 10 years if not more.
Idle was rough but I decided to water test it. Yes, I've ran it 20 times or more in a tub for the 2 years I've owned it before hitting the water Once I got out of the no wake zone and opened it up it seemed to run perfectly. Spent 30 mins mid throttle with bursts of WOT.
headed back in and 10 feet from the dock it stalled. Would not start. Tied up and pulled the engine cover and saw fuel pouring out. Got home and removed the carb cover and ran in the tub. Fuel was pouring ( not spitting - a steady flow ) from the overflow tubes on the bottom carb. I say overflow tubes because I presume that's what they are. The two brass tubes that run horizontal from the carb body.
I'm guessing that a stuck float seat was the issue but before I put the carbs back on can someone confirm that this is the likely culprit? Thanks.

brodmann

Chief Petty Officer
That's probably it. Easy way to check without putting carbs back on is the get a piece of fuel line and hook it up to the input nipple of the carb. Blow into that piece of fuel line and slowly turn the carb upside down. The air should flow into the carb until it's upside down, then you'll hear the air stop flowing as the bowl rises and the needle seats in the float. Also, check your float levels. With the carb upside down and the gasket sitting on the carb, the float should be level with and even with the gasket. One more thing to check is to trhow your floats in a bowl of water and make sure they actually float! some older models had brass floats that would corrode and get holes in them and fill with fuel and not float.
Hope our figure it out.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Where did you get the gasket kit from? A 1/2 an hr is about how long it takes a crappy chinese kit to swell.

73 Dolphin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well the one I just rebuilt it with was OEM. What was on it when it was leaking probably was too but it was many years old. It's not leaking from the gaskets though.